Beccles deserve Merit for win
Beccles Dolphins 36, Broadland-Yarmouth 5BECCLES Dolphins kicked off their Norfolk Merit Table rugby campaign with a comfortable win at Beef Meadow.Dolphins started well but were unable to score until 20 minutes into the game.
Beccles Dolphins 36, Broadland-Yarmouth 5
BECCLES Dolphins kicked off their Norfolk Merit Table rugby campaign with a comfortable win at Beef Meadow.
Dolphins started well but were unable to score until 20 minutes into the game.
After two good line breaks White Horse man-of-the-match Matt Calver did it once more and this time managed to score.
Dolphins should have opened up now but they were being sucked into Broadland's tight game. When they did have chances to run with it but they too often chose to kick. However, the pressure told and Marc Dyer went over to a score, then he converted.
At half-time the players were told what was required of them. This was basically keeping the ball in hand and spinning it wide.
- 1 7 of the prettiest cafes in Suffolk
- 2 Two children cause damage after throwing stones at vehicles
- 3 Estate agent hosting auction for air ambulance appeal
- 4 7 roadworks Suffolk drivers need to know about this week
- 5 Beccles school appoints new headteacher
- 6 Former professional dressage rider died in four-vehicle motorcycle crash
- 7 Appeal for more Suffolk blood donors to prevent stocks running low
- 8 Vandals smash lights in criminal damage at east Suffolk park
- 9 Bosses of Worlingham Hall admit failing to comply with fire safety notice
- 10 Man freed from vehicle and taken to hospital following crash
This is exactly what they did and tries came from Matt Goode, Liam King and Ollie Larkworthy.
As the Broadland players began to tire the Beccles players were showing their fitness and soon came the try of the game by young fly-half Jake Yeowell. He dummied from inside his own half and beat four players before rounding the full-back to score an awesome try.
This was again an impressive display with strong performances from Pitts, Pierce and Bloomfield.
The Dolphins can go to Fakenham this week confident of a good result.
Norwich III 0, Beccles Dolphins 38
BECCLES Dolphins put in an impressive performance by outscoring Norwich by six tries to nil.
Captain Hadridge chose to rotate the squad and selected 20 players.
Yeowell was playing his first full game at fly-half with Dyer and Calver both returning.
Dolphins started well and scored two tries in the first half from Carpenter and the rapidly improving Pennington.
In the second half the Dolphins back row of Goode, Woodard, Tipple and Hewitt began to cause havoc in both defence and attack and gaps began to open up.
Carpenter added a second try, Hewit and Davey-Durak then scored.
In the final minutes Hadridge and Bloomfield set up Larkworthy on the halfway line and he scorched through to score his first senior try.
Good performances came from all the Dolphins. White Horse man-of-the-match award: prop Nicky Moon.