Beccles finally turn improving performances into a win
- Credit: Archant
Beccles took on Swaffham in a league and cup double header on Saturday and managed to turn their improving performances into a win as they were victorious 50-20.
Beccles were able to field a strong side for the game. Hazzard was called up to play his first game in a couple of years at scrum-half to replace the injured Puxley.
Beccles took the game to the opposition straight from the kick off. They cut through and nearly opened the scoring without Swaffham touching the ball.
The home side were kept out but managed to keep the pressure on and it didn’t take long for them to get on the scoreboard. Space opened up on the edge of a ruck on the 22 which Rix exploited to storm away for the first try, Harmer adding the conversion.
Swaffham hit back with a penalty but Rix added a second try, again finding space around the edge of the ruck and Harmer again converted.
You may also want to watch:
Wilson added a third try before Swaffham pulled one back.
It was Beccles who finished the half stronger with Harrison and Hazzard both going over. Harmer added the extras and Beccles led at half-time by 33-8.
- 1 Voyeur watched people after setting up secret cameras in bathroom
- 2 Car park's £500 price hike was 'callous', town council says
- 3 Name unveiled for new Bungay SEND school
- 4 'Beccles Mafia' reported to police for harassing elderly shoppers
- 5 Bid for 40 new homes meets fresh opposition
- 6 Suffolk braced for up to 10cm of snow as warnings upgraded
- 7 Takeaway deli set to open in coastal town
- 8 'Disappointment' as thieves raid £16,000 of kit from town's sports club
- 9 Nine still under investigation after man knifed in village brawl
- 10 New vaccination centre will open to cope with demand across Waveney
Beccles tried to reduce their penalty count after half-time but continued to fall foul of the referees’ whistle. Swaffham took advantage and added a try and penalty try during the half.
Beccles still managed to score regularly as well however. Wilson added a second when he powered over to touch down and Calton also finished off a good move after Beccles had turned over loose ball.
With the pitch starting to freeze the game moved in to its last play and Gedney chipped over the top and with the loose ball ricocheting over line Harmer touched down. He added the conversion to finish the game.
Man of the Match was Girling.