Beccles GC lose out in Tolly competition
On Sunday, 10 members of Beccles travelled to Aldeburgh Golf Club for 36 holes in the second round of the County Tolly Competition.
Leading off the first 18 holes, Ben Cable and Club Captain James Cushing played a very tight game, losing by four.
The second pairing of Vice Captain Bryan Debenham and Rod Green played a very steady game and finished winning one up.,
Secretary Alan Ereira and Seniors’ Captain Ron Walding had a very up and down match, scrambling all the way to finish, losing by two.
And the final pairing of Chris Peach and Kevin Ayers worked hard but were unable to get ahead, also losing by three for a loss of eight holes.
You may also want to watch:
Course captain Sam Cooper kept all the pairing and playing orders the same for the afternoon’s round.
With the sea mist starting to roll in things seemed to be going the way they finished in the mornings round with James and Ben doing their outmost, but unable to break the rhythm off their opposition.
- 1 Drive-in fireworks display with food village returning for 2021
- 2 Youngsters prepare to take to the stage for debut performance
- 3 New Toolstation store opens in Beccles
- 4 Christmas in doubt as toy shop boss 'struggling with stock'
- 5 School to play key role in supporting pupils' mental health across country
- 6 Tyres slashed on parked cars with damage caused overnight in Beccles
- 7 Man dies in industrial incident at plastics factory
- 8 Waveney schools to bring in additional measures to fight Covid rise
- 9 Man on walking tour of UK's coastline 'met with so much love' in Suffolk
- 10 Transport pilot launched to help isolated communities around Bungay
They finished up losing by two.
Bryan and Rod were also unable to get the better of their opponents and lost by three. Alan and Ron played better and fought hard but again had a loss of two holes.
The final pairing of Kevin and Chris did all they could to try and turn things round and came in with a win of six holes.
This left the afternoon session a defeat by one hold.
Overall Beccles lost to Aldeburgh by nine holes.
Meanwhile, the Club Captains’ Cup was held at Beccles GC recently.
Twenty-one members took part in the medal competition off the White Tees, including the Ladies’ Captain.
With heavy overnight rain, green keeper Mike Jolly, helped by Willie White, swished and cut the greens, with Paul Segust and David Well having to go out before play started to clear water off two of the greens after another heavy downpour.
Several prizes were up for grabs, Nearest the pin on 1/10 Alan Ereira, 8/17 Jim Redpath, nearest the pin in two 9/18 Edd Bowles.
The main competition prizes went to 4th Ben Cable 78-12-66, 3rd Jim Redpath 82-16-66, 2nd Steve Driver 82-18-64 and winning Alan Ereira 75-12-63.
Tomorrow’s match is to be confirmed while Sunday is a Stableford OOM Qualifier Whites and Yellow Tees.