Beccles go back on top

Beccles Town 2, Mattishall 0Beccles returned to the top of the Anglian Combination Premier Division with a win against Mattishall, although the scoreline probably doesn't tell the true story.

Beccles Town 2, Mattishall 0

Beccles returned to the top of the Anglian Combination Premier Division with a win against Mattishall, although the scoreline probably doesn't tell the true story.

The game saw the home side struggle for rhythm for long spells but were hugely indebted to a superb performance from their goalkeeper Danny Cable aided by his woodwork at times to preserve a clean sheet.

In fact, Beccles made it only two goals conceded in the league from six games and sit on top of the pile with games in hand over teams below them.

Manager Mick Broxup again made changes to the starting line up following last weeks cup reverse at home to Corton. Ant Martin returned up front following a five-week suspension and the re-signed Ricky Wilson, back after a spell across the avenue at Caxton, Lee Shaw returned to the centre of defence having been on army duties last week.

The crowd had barely had time to take up their positions before the home side drew first blood. Holmes won a free kick on the right, Waterman flighted over a perfect cross and full back Neil McMorran stole in to head the games opener. This was just what the hosts wanted after last weeks reverse, an early lead on which to build.

Most Read

The game then went through decidedly scrappy phase as both teams tried to wrestle the initiative. Indeed it was something of a surprise when Beccles awoke from their slumbers and added a second. Young winger Alex Holmes, just back from representing Suffolk Youth last week, attacked his full-back drawing a rash tackle from him, down went the youngster and the referee pointed to the spot.

Up stepped top scorer Alan Remblance to blast the ball into the centre of the net for two-nil.

Half-time soon arrived and the home faithful were left to muse on their tea at how many more their team would score in the second half, as they settled back they expected an onslaught, an expectation as it turned out that would not materialise.

Mattishall clearly hadn't read the script and were obviously responding to half-time tongue lashing came out second half and began to dominate.

The woodwork came to Beccles aid following a firm shot and then Danny Cable made the first of what was to become a string of fine saves, diving full length to claw away a firm downward header.

If the crossbar had been rattled earlier it was now the turn of the post with the grateful Cable grasping the ball on the line following a rebound. It was mostly a defensive stance now by captain Barham, Shaw, McMorran and Wigg, ably backed up by Cable as the Beccles defence as much in luck as judgement held on.

It wasn't totally one-way traffic however as following a fine run and spectacular lob by top scorer Remblance the woodwork came to Mattishall's aid to rob Beccles' top scorer of a goal.

In the main though the game was played out more in the Beccles half and their was still time for the outstanding Cable to seal the man of the match tag with another fine stop.

Beccles held on to record a two-nil win, much to the relief of a large home following.

Beccles are at home again this week against last season's champions Sheringham. Note the new kick-off time of 2pm.