Beccles go down to brave defeat as Dragons prove too strong in the league
- Credit: Archant
Beccles were at home to Norwich Dragons V, who were five places above them in fifth in Division One of the Empresa League.
Beccles were still hopeful of a close match given they had beaten Norwich Dragons V away earlier in the season.
Beccles started the better, with some fluid passing and from one such move the ball was fed via a free hit from Marnie Blair deep in her own half to Charlie Calladine who crossed the ball to Debbie Mann in the centre.
She burst into the D and lifted it over the defender’s stick and Hannah Eaton pounced just in front of the advancing keeper to score.
Beccles carried on playing well and had the most possession, but could not increase the goal count.
With just five minutes to go to half time, Norwich Dragons V were awarded a short corner and one of the Beccles defenders broke too early, so they were sent to the halfway line.
Norwich duly made the extra players count at the retake and equalised from close range and so the momentum shifted.
- 1 Art gallery celebrating local talent to launch at site of former mill
- 2 What time will the Red Arrows be flying over Suffolk this weekend?
- 3 Popular band preparing to celebrate best of British music in Beccles
- 4 'A very special weekend' - Bungay set for 'happy and glorious' Jubilee
- 5 Suffolk drivers urged to use caution in Quiet Lanes amid growing scheme
- 6 Boost for Beccles Men's Shed with grant funding donation
- 7 F1 star jumps out of plane over Suffolk town
- 8 Major road to close for resurfacing works costing £81,000
- 9 Former bank could become vets to meet boom in pet ownership
- 10 Festival of Suffolk torch relay reaches Waveney
Norwich Dragons V came out in the second half with renewed confidence and for a while Beccles were able to thwart Norwich Dragons V.
However, on 10 minutes, from a short corner, a powerful goal bound shot came in and although the Beccles keeper got a stick to it, somewhat unluckily it still went in, making it 1-2 to Norwich Dragons V.
Beccles continued to attack in search of an equaliser but were foiled by a well organised defence.
On the counter Norwich Dragons V broke down the Beccles left side and scored from close range through several players’ legs making the score 1-3 to Norwich Dragons 5 on 25 minutes.
Beccles did not let this dishearten them but despite battling hard they could not overturn a two-goal deficit.
n Division One leaders Railway saw their match at Diss postponed but they remain seven points clear at the top.
That’s because nearest challengers Broadland II slipped up, going down 2-0 against Reepham.