Beccles go down to brave defeat as Dragons prove too strong in the league
- Credit: Archant
Beccles were at home to Norwich Dragons V, who were five places above them in fifth in Division One of the Empresa League.
Beccles were still hopeful of a close match given they had beaten Norwich Dragons V away earlier in the season.
Beccles started the better, with some fluid passing and from one such move the ball was fed via a free hit from Marnie Blair deep in her own half to Charlie Calladine who crossed the ball to Debbie Mann in the centre.
She burst into the D and lifted it over the defender’s stick and Hannah Eaton pounced just in front of the advancing keeper to score.
Beccles carried on playing well and had the most possession, but could not increase the goal count.
You may also want to watch:
With just five minutes to go to half time, Norwich Dragons V were awarded a short corner and one of the Beccles defenders broke too early, so they were sent to the halfway line.
Norwich duly made the extra players count at the retake and equalised from close range and so the momentum shifted.
- 1 'Anti-social rider' has quadbike seized in the snow
- 2 Car park's £500 price hike was 'callous', town council says
- 3 Voyeur watched people after setting up secret cameras in bathroom
- 4 Norfolk's first mass Covid vaccination centre to open in food court
- 5 Butchers' could be converted into cafe under new plans
- 6 'Disappointment' as thieves raid £16,000 of kit from town's sports club
- 7 Name unveiled for new Bungay SEND school
- 8 'Beccles Mafia' reported to police for harassing elderly shoppers
- 9 Hunt for man who deliberately drove Mercedes into cyclist
- 10 Tributes to man, 31, who died on Christmas Day
Norwich Dragons V came out in the second half with renewed confidence and for a while Beccles were able to thwart Norwich Dragons V.
However, on 10 minutes, from a short corner, a powerful goal bound shot came in and although the Beccles keeper got a stick to it, somewhat unluckily it still went in, making it 1-2 to Norwich Dragons V.
Beccles continued to attack in search of an equaliser but were foiled by a well organised defence.
On the counter Norwich Dragons V broke down the Beccles left side and scored from close range through several players’ legs making the score 1-3 to Norwich Dragons 5 on 25 minutes.
Beccles did not let this dishearten them but despite battling hard they could not overturn a two-goal deficit.
n Division One leaders Railway saw their match at Diss postponed but they remain seven points clear at the top.
That’s because nearest challengers Broadland II slipped up, going down 2-0 against Reepham.