Beccles Golf Club pays respects to Mike Garrood
Last Saturday saw Beccles Golf Club hold a four ball better ball competition, with partners drawn on the morning. But due to severe bad weather the competition was abandoned after nine holes.
Saturday saw Beccles Golf Club hold a four ball better ball competition, with partners drawn on the morning.
But due to severe bad weather the competition was abandoned after nine holes.
Before play commenced club captain Bob Janney and members held a minute’s silence in respect for long serving club member Mike Garrood who past away early hours of Friday morning.
Mike represented the club playing in several county matches and will be sadly missed by members new and old.
You may also want to watch:
Mike was a well liked, bubbly character who for many years helped with the junior coaching sessions. Mike – or Scoop – was also for several years the club’s press officer and would spend many an afternoon compiling his press reports.
Mike’s chosen charity was the East Anglian Air Ambulance and donations were made by all members and the winning players donated their prizes to the fund.
- 1 Man kicked and punched in head by group of attackers
- 2 Man who set up cannabis farm warned he will be jailed
- 3 Five rare birds that have been spotted in Norfolk
- 4 Police hunt for missing Beccles man
- 5 McDonald's branch to close for up to three months
- 6 9 long walking trails to explore in Norfolk
- 7 Fire crews called out to bin fire at Bungay public toilets
- 8 Opening date revealed for community pub with 1,400 shareholders
- 9 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: LIVE Results
- 10 Driver convicted of killing friend in A12 crash
The club is looking to hold an annual competition in Mike Garrood’s memory.
Saturday’s results for nine holes were: second winning on countback seniors captain Ron Walding and Steve Driver with 20 points, and winning with 21 points, secretary Ray Walding and Steve Tomlinson.
The Sunday saw Janney hold a non-qualifing medal. Players enjoyed a dryer day than those that took part on Saturday but found conditions difficult due to a gusty wind. Returning member Marty Barker won the competition 87-17-70, second was Alan Ereira 84-11-73, third Paul Segust 90-16-74.
Again the flag was flown at half mast, and members contributed Mike Garrood’s Charity.
Janney thanked David Neech for his help with the greens. This Saturday is a greensomes competition at Beccles.