Beccles hockey ladies get fab win
Dereham III 1, Beccles 3
A fantastic team effort, excellent defending, and two cracking goals from Annette Freeman and a goal from Debbie Mann saw Beccles play their first game back in the premier division of the M & A Partners Norfolk League after several years absence.
Beccles went ahead after just four minutes when Ali Foreman gained possession of the ball on the halfway line, and skilfully weaved her way through the opposition, before passing the ball to Annette to slam the ball home.
Aimee Tilley, playing at right midfield had an excellent first half, with her tight marking and consistent interception of the ball on her reverse stick side, turning defence into attack.
Both teams had chances which they just could not capitalise upon but eventually Beccles increased their lead when Debbie Mann latched onto the end of Annette Freeman’s pass in the D. As the ball came across, she stuck her stick out deflecting the ball passed the oncoming keeper and into the goal.
You may also want to watch:
Within a couple of minutes Dereham pulled one back from a penalty corner making the half-time score 2-1. Being 2-1 down and with youth on their side, Dereham came out strong in the second half and bombarded the Beccles defence.
However, Beccles stood strong showing some excellent team work and skill as Dereham piled on the pressure but they could not break through.
- 1 McDonald's branch to close for up to three months
- 2 'Absolutely crazy' - Beer gardens bustle on first weekend open
- 3 'Lucky number seven' - Landlord opens 'flagship' pub in hometown
- 4 Is this your Range Rover? - Police seize vehicles and cash in raid
- 5 Tools stolen in spate of van break-ins
- 6 Air ambulance called after man and woman suffer medical emergencies
- 7 'No guarantee' - doctor urges HPV vaccinated women to attend screenings
- 8 Important milestone for hospital hub revamp as external works completed
- 9 Picturesque Bungay retirement home officially Grade II listed
- 10 Family attractions back for big weekend after months of shutdown
Amy Thornton, Claire Gammon, Brenda Thompson, Laura Bonnor Ali Forman and Heather Brand all played a very important part in defending the Beccles goal.
Defender Max Gibbs had a superb game, frequently winning the ball and halting the attacks with her timely interceptions.
The final goal of the game came 21 minutes into the second half when Claire Gammon took the 16 yard hit and sent a precise ball up the field for Annette Freeman to collect and crack home to make the final score 3-1.
This week Beccles are at home to Harleston Magpies III (4.30pm start).