Beccles impress against Canaries
Beccles Town 0, Norwich City XI 1Beccles came up just short in this pulsating encounter for the Jack Constance Cup. But they will take great heart from the manner of their performance.
Beccles Town 0, Norwich City XI 1
Beccles came up just short in this pulsating encounter for the Jack Constance Cup. But they will take great heart from the manner of their performance.
Manager Mick Broxup settled on his first full-strength line-up. Keeper Danny Cable was joined in defence by captain Sam Barham, and Lee Shaw, forming a resolute barrier in the centre, flanked by Neil McMorran and Chris Mayhew.
A new-look midfield featured new signings Matt Robbins and Paul Heaney, together with Kevin Waterman and the exciting Alex Holmes wide, with Ant Martin (being watched by Norwich City older brother, Chris), and tucked just behind, the fit-again leading scorer Alan Remblance.
You may also want to watch:
Beccles tore at their illustrious opponents and could have been a goal to the good in the first 20 minutes. Alex Holmes curled his shot agonisingly wide of the far post. Alan Remblance's penalty kick struck the outside of the post. A neat free-kick routine saw Remblance bring out the best in the Norwich keeper.
A somewhat shell-shocked Norwich got the ball down at last and began to play. Beccles were indebted on three occasions to fantastic saves by Danny Cable.
- 1 Further walk-in vaccination clinics being held across Norfolk and Waveney
- 2 Closing coastal footbridge will have 'devastating' impact, pub owner says
- 3 Can you match a nurse's daily step count?
- 4 'World’s highest qualified merchant seamen' dies aged 62
- 5 Elections 2021: Framlingham and Beccles by-election candidates published
- 6 Homelessness charity set to reopen popular shop
- 7 'Magical' Southwold holidays inspire children's author's latest book
- 8 Thieves target boats on Broads and local rivers
- 9 Police called after large fight breaks out in Beccles
- 10 Police dog tracks down driver hiding in a ditch after fleeing crash scene
Second half Ant Martin was causing mayhem in the Norwich defence with his aerial dominance and Heaney and Robbins both just failed to get on the end of good knock-downs.
Norwich took the lead with a crisp shot from just inside the area. Beccles re-introduced Remblance and paired him with Martin in an attempt to get the equaliser they deserved.
Beccles are in league action on Tuesday, August 25 against Loddon, ko 6.30pm. The following evening the reserves entertain Hempnall Res 6.30pm.