Beccles impress against Canaries
Beccles Town 0, Norwich City XI 1Beccles came up just short in this pulsating encounter for the Jack Constance Cup. But they will take great heart from the manner of their performance.
Beccles Town 0, Norwich City XI 1
Beccles came up just short in this pulsating encounter for the Jack Constance Cup. But they will take great heart from the manner of their performance.
Manager Mick Broxup settled on his first full-strength line-up. Keeper Danny Cable was joined in defence by captain Sam Barham, and Lee Shaw, forming a resolute barrier in the centre, flanked by Neil McMorran and Chris Mayhew.
A new-look midfield featured new signings Matt Robbins and Paul Heaney, together with Kevin Waterman and the exciting Alex Holmes wide, with Ant Martin (being watched by Norwich City older brother, Chris), and tucked just behind, the fit-again leading scorer Alan Remblance.
You may also want to watch:
Beccles tore at their illustrious opponents and could have been a goal to the good in the first 20 minutes. Alex Holmes curled his shot agonisingly wide of the far post. Alan Remblance's penalty kick struck the outside of the post. A neat free-kick routine saw Remblance bring out the best in the Norwich keeper.
A somewhat shell-shocked Norwich got the ball down at last and began to play. Beccles were indebted on three occasions to fantastic saves by Danny Cable.
- 1 No need to wait for booster invitation - clarification after Covid jab confusion
- 2 Christmas in doubt as toy shop boss 'struggling with stock'
- 3 Farm shop owners 'absolutely thrilled' at national award
- 4 Youngsters prepare to take to the stage for debut performance
- 5 Drive-in fireworks display with food village returning for 2021
- 6 New Toolstation store opens in Beccles
- 7 Tyres slashed on parked cars with damage caused overnight in Beccles
- 8 Waveney schools to bring in additional measures to fight Covid rise
- 9 Man dies in industrial incident at plastics factory
- 10 School to play key role in supporting pupils' mental health across country
Second half Ant Martin was causing mayhem in the Norwich defence with his aerial dominance and Heaney and Robbins both just failed to get on the end of good knock-downs.
Norwich took the lead with a crisp shot from just inside the area. Beccles re-introduced Remblance and paired him with Martin in an attempt to get the equaliser they deserved.
Beccles are in league action on Tuesday, August 25 against Loddon, ko 6.30pm. The following evening the reserves entertain Hempnall Res 6.30pm.