Beccles in cup exit
Beccles will rue their missed chances as they lost to Downham in the Carter Cup by 196 runs.Downham won the toss and elected to bat on a wettish outfield.
Beccles will rue their missed chances as they lost to Downham in the Carter Cup by 196 runs.
Downham won the toss and elected to bat on a wettish outfield.
Beccles were looking for early wickets and it started beautifully with Josh Aldridge and Daniel Vihm getting one each in their first overs to have Downham on the back foot at 9-2.
Then South African Phangiso joined Stewart and they put on 64 before captain David Ali Turrell introduced himself into the attack and claimed Stewart for a hard-earned 28.
You may also want to watch:
Then leg spinner David George was introduced and he claimed the wicket of Tullett, caught by captain Turrell for five, to have Downham at 99-4.
Then Phangiso lofted off-spinner George and change bowler Tom Young onto the road making a dashing 151, hitting balls to all parts of the ground.
- 1 'On top of the world' - Joy as shops new and old reopen in Beccles
- 2 Pub and restaurant group 'looking forward' to re-opening popular venues
- 3 Suspected drink driver charged after police dog tracks down man hiding in a ditch
- 4 Investigations continuing after drugs seized during police raid
- 5 Hunt continuing for man who drove at cyclist
- 6 'A long time coming' - gyms welcome people back for April 12 reopening
- 7 Homelessness charity set to reopen popular shop
- 8 Crash between car and scooter on busy Norfolk road
- 9 Further walk-in vaccination clinics being held across Norfolk and Waveney
- 10 'This is not okay!' - Anger at waste dumped on village field
Richard Porter bowled him with the score at 260-7, and with some later-order hitting from Stewart 35 and Todd 20 saw Downham all out for 368.
Darren George took 3-95 off 12 overs, opener Daniel Vihm 2-49 off 12 and Richard Porter 2-46 off nine overs to be Beccles' best bowlers.
Beccles began their chase for a massive 369 but captain David Turrell was bowled for five.
That brought Rob Porter and Daniel Vihm together, who put on 32
before Vihm ran himself out for 12, taking a quick single to mid-off with a throw from Lanchester hitting the stumps to have Beccles at 43-3.
Rob Porter was bowled for 12 leaving Beccles 71-3 and in big trouble, but a steadying partnership between Richard Porter and Richard Turrell of 55 gave Beccles some respectability with Porter making 60 and Turrell 36, the only other batsmen to make double figures behind Vihm and Rob Porter's 12.
Beccles were bowled out for 171 with Todd taking three wickets and Stewart two with Downham too good on the day.
The difference probably was that Downham took their chances when they came and Beccles didn't.
Everyone is reminded about the VP lunch on June 28. For details contact Liz Read on 01502575334.
Beccles beat Cromer in the previous round. Beccles finished their innings on 285-6 with a century from Richard Holmes (110no).
Cromer's wickets fell on a steady basis throughout the innings with Josh Aldridge claiming 3-11 and Daniel Vihm 2-6 off seven.