Beccles in fourth after defeat
- Credit: Archant
Beccles needed to win their last game of the season away to Evergreens II in order to finish third in Division Two of hockey’s Empresa Norfolk League.
But opponents and hosts Evergreens played a game which did not befit their 10th-placed position.
It was a physical and verbally hard-fought game, quite different to the previous week’s match.
Most of the first half saw the play all on one side of the pitch, and Evergreens had the majority of the possession.
They marked well and attacked in numbers, making it very difficult to get the ball out of the Beccles half.
You may also want to watch:
In the second half the play opened up a bit more, but still predominantly the area of play was on Beccles’ left side.
Halfway through the second half, the Beccles keeper, Lorraine Greenwood, made a good save, but this left the goal open and despite a good effort from Ali Foreman, who made contact with the ball, she could not prevent it from going over the goal line and Evergreens went ahead.
- 1 Man in 70s who died in crash identified after public help
- 2 Man in 70s dies in A143 crash
- 3 Manager's tears of happiness at hotel accolade
- 4 Refurbishment of 'incredibly important structure' confirmed
- 5 Six million PPE items arriving in Suffolk found to be unsafe
- 6 Care home bosses welcome proposed roll-out of rapid covid tests
- 7 Town's post office to close within a month
- 8 Dozens of new Covid marshals to become 'the eyes and ears of the districts'
- 9 Theatre to end first socially-distanced season with award-winning duo
- 10 Road remains closed after serious crash on A143
Later Evergreens nearly went further ahead, but the goalkeeper made a couple of crucial saves, firstly getting down to a low ball, and secondly palming the ball away with her hand, as Evergreens shot again.
Fifteen-year-old Hannah Roberts displayed her maturity playing in defence, but supporting the forwards and venturing into attack, where she found space to receive the ball.
Overall this has been another good season for the team, after gaining promotion last year with a perfect record and this year finishing fourth.
Beccles will be holding some summer hockey sessions at Beccles Sports Centre.
Please contact Debbie Mann for further information on 07952531954.