Beccles in fourth after defeat
- Credit: Archant
Beccles needed to win their last game of the season away to Evergreens II in order to finish third in Division Two of hockey’s Empresa Norfolk League.
But opponents and hosts Evergreens played a game which did not befit their 10th-placed position.
It was a physical and verbally hard-fought game, quite different to the previous week’s match.
Most of the first half saw the play all on one side of the pitch, and Evergreens had the majority of the possession.
They marked well and attacked in numbers, making it very difficult to get the ball out of the Beccles half.
In the second half the play opened up a bit more, but still predominantly the area of play was on Beccles’ left side.
Halfway through the second half, the Beccles keeper, Lorraine Greenwood, made a good save, but this left the goal open and despite a good effort from Ali Foreman, who made contact with the ball, she could not prevent it from going over the goal line and Evergreens went ahead.
- 1 League of Friends of Hospital raise & invest staggering sum of money
- 2 Britain's Got Talent star to perform at Bungay's Fisher Theatre
- 3 Weather warning extended as thunderstorms set to hit Norfolk after heatwave
- 4 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 5 Amazing pictures of the impact of heatwave captured from microlight
- 6 'Bus week' scheme to protect 'lifeline' route in town
- 7 Town's real ale pub launches new menu with 'something for everyone'
- 8 Care home's failings continue after damning report reveals abuse fears
- 9 Obituary: 'Remarkable' musician remembered with publication of new book
- 10 Suffolk ranked as the best place in England for camping holidays
Later Evergreens nearly went further ahead, but the goalkeeper made a couple of crucial saves, firstly getting down to a low ball, and secondly palming the ball away with her hand, as Evergreens shot again.
Fifteen-year-old Hannah Roberts displayed her maturity playing in defence, but supporting the forwards and venturing into attack, where she found space to receive the ball.
Overall this has been another good season for the team, after gaining promotion last year with a perfect record and this year finishing fourth.
Beccles will be holding some summer hockey sessions at Beccles Sports Centre.
Please contact Debbie Mann for further information on 07952531954.