Beccles keep hold of top spot
- Credit: Archant
Beccles II 19 North Walsham II 12
Beccles clung on to top spot after beating second-placed North Walsham Raiders.
With temperatures hovering around freezing and a frosty pitch, Beccles Dolphins faced North Walsham Raiders in their toughest match yet.
Beccles knew the Raiders wouldn’t roll over for them and that they would have to work hard if they wanted the victory.
From the first whistle Beccles looked sharp with big runs from Long and excellent support play by the pack. The first score came early when a charge down from Shipley saw Hazzard jump on the loose ball. Captain Jason Hewitt added the extras.
You may also want to watch:
Beccles continued to put pressure on Raiders and looked certain to score, but the Raiders’ defence remained solid.
Pitts, Starks and Guy all played their part in causing havoc around the ruck areas.
- 1 Town's post office to close within a month
- 2 New appeal as pregnant woman goes missing again
- 3 Woman airlifted to hospital after crash
- 4 How do Tier 1 areas like Cornwall compare to Suffolk?
- 5 Man arrested and cannabis seized as Kestrel team swoops on town
- 6 Appeal to trace owner after gold ring is found
- 7 What does tier two mean for you? Step-by-step guide to new rules
- 8 Safety plea after child pictured at base of crumbling cliff
- 9 Cyclist attacks car with handlebars and threatens driver
- 10 Merger plans unveiled for four pupil referral unit schools
At half time Beccles continued on top, with Hewitt commanding the pack, giving the backs plenty of room to run, but again the Raiders defence remained strong.
A well put together move saw Bloomfield released on the wing to sprint 50 metres and touch down in the corner. With the wind against him, Hewitt slotted the extras.
The tables had now turned and the Raiders were on top creating space and making ground.
Some solid tackles from the Beccles defence and man of the match Gav Starks kept them at bay until a rolling maul saw the Raiders touch down for their first try.
After the restart Beccles were again under pressure and the Raiders soon added a second try.
With the final whistle looming Beccles upped their game and were soon back in the Raiders half.
In the last minute of the game a strong scrum on the opposition five-metre line saw Hazzard peel off and pop inside for Goode to touch down.
Beccles hold on to their top spot and remain unbeaten so far this season.