Beccles Ladies have the final say to pick up a hard earned point
- Credit: Archant
Beccles Ladies were at home to Pelicans II, who had won their opening match of the season the previous weekend, and recorded a 2-2 draw.
Beccles were expecting a keenly-fought match, having beaten Pelicans II 2-1 in their final match of last season to ensure they remained in Division One of the Empresa Norfolk Women’s Hockey League.
The home side began the brighter and had ti not been for some good saves from the Pelicans II’s keeper they would have opened the scoring almost immediately.
Beccles scored on seven minutes when Jodie Sharp crossed from just outside the D for Lara Nuthall to tap in just inside the post.
Pelicans II equalised when a shot bobbled over the stick of a diving keeper.
Beccles were down to 10 players in the second half when a player had to leave due to other commitments and this gave Pelicans renewed impetus and they began to have more possession.
But because of Beccles’ excellent defensive play, especially from Amy Thornton, it took until 25 minutes of the half for them to take the lead when Beccles failed to clear a ball from the D after a deflection by the keeper and a pinpoint shot went just inside the post.
- 1 Challenging future for high streets amid fall in shoppers
- 2 Care home's failings continue after damning report reveals abuse fears
- 3 'Bus week' scheme to protect 'lifeline' route in town
- 4 Beccles mother publishes new children's book
- 5 Holiday business owner fined over £5k after 'excessive waste' found at site
- 6 Five-bedroom country house with 'secret garden' on sale for £1.25m
- 7 Motorcyclist injured after crash in busy Suffolk road
- 8 New minister appointed for Beccles Salvation Army
- 9 Camera club showcases best of town's efforts
- 10 Latest 'festival-style' market to take place next month
Three minutes later Beccles were awarded a short corner and a goalbound shot from Sharp was deflected up and in off the keeper’s stick but as she had not lifted the ball and it hit the backboard the goal was rightly allowed to stand, making the final score 2-2.
Beccles are away to Yarmouth II tomorrow.
Harleston Magpies Ladies opened their East Conference programme with a long trip to London to face Barnes - and slipped to a 2-0 defeat.
The home side took the lead midway through the first half with a well-executed short corner of their own.
Following coach Rob Sorrell’s half-time team talk the Magpies’ forward line created a number of chances which went just wide before a good aerial clearance from the Barnes defence led to a second goal for the hosts.
Magpies refused to let their heads drop, with Charlie Harrison and Lauren Barber working tirelessly in the midfield creating opportunities for Annie Nunn, who made some great runs down the left.