Beccles Ladies leave it late to secure their Division One place
- Credit: Archant
Beccles left it to the last game of the season to secure their place in Division One of the Empresa Norfolk Hockey League, finishing ninth after beating Pelicans 2nds 2-1.
Beccles and Pelicans both needed one point to secure their position so it was a very important match for both teams.
Beccles called on Max Gibbs who had ‘retired’ during the season and Sarah Webster was also fit.
Beccles took the lead after four minutes. They were awarded a penalty corner and despite Pellies successfully defending the first shot, Ali Foreman picked up the loose ball and swept it into the net.
Just before half time Pelicans were awarded a penalty corner from which they equalised. But Beccles continued to press forward and Amy Thornton struck the ball inside the D and the defender got their stick to the ball but it deflected into the goal.
You may also want to watch:
Pellies pressed hard but Beccles rode the storm and took all three points.
- 1 Life sentence for convicted rapist who attempted to murder Norfolk woman
- 2 Honda motorbike stolen in overnight theft in Bungay
- 3 Man dies in industrial incident at plastics factory
- 4 The community hub bringing the heart of Beccles together
- 5 Toolstation opens new store in Beccles
- 6 Free October half term events around Beccles and Bungay
- 7 MP still hopes to host surgeries in person after colleague killed
- 8 Five Halloween events planned in Waveney this year
- 9 An A to Z of East Anglian cider
- 10 New brewery restaurant opens for tapas nights, afternoon tea and more