Beccles leave it late but win
BECCLES left it to the last play of the game to beat a committed Basildon side at Beef Meadow on Saturday. Beccles scored 26 points in the last 15 minutes to win by 34-31.
BECCLES left it to the last play of the game to beat a committed Basildon side at Beef Meadow on Saturday.
Beccles scored 26 points in the last 15 minutes to win by 34-31.
Basildon are currently in a relegation battle and their desperation for the points showed early on when they put together some excellent rugby.
They kept the ball alive well, and some unusually weak Beccles defending let them in for three early tries to put them in to a 19-0 lead.
In the last 10 minutes of the first half Beccles began to play some rugby of their own. A long-range Wade penalty got them on the scoresheet.
This was soon followed by a try. The forwards drove the ball towards the line and then the ball was fed wide to Wade who went over in the corner. This gave a half-time score of 19-8.
- 1 League of Friends of Hospital raise & invest staggering sum of money
- 2 Britain's Got Talent star to perform at Bungay's Fisher Theatre
- 3 Weather warning extended as thunderstorms set to hit Norfolk after heatwave
- 4 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 5 Amazing pictures of the impact of heatwave captured from microlight
- 6 Town's real ale pub launches new menu with 'something for everyone'
- 7 'Bus week' scheme to protect 'lifeline' route in town
- 8 Care home's failings continue after damning report reveals abuse fears
- 9 Obituary: 'Remarkable' musician remembered with publication of new book
- 10 Suffolk ranked as the best place in England for camping holidays
Beccles started the second half poorly and two Basildon tries further increased their lead.
Beccles were now 23 points behind with 15 minutes left. However, the big Basildon forwards were beginning to tire, which created space for the Beccles runners.
Rob and Paul Wilson, in particular, were carrying the ball well and they were both made the Musker McIntyre Men of the Match.
Beccles began their comeback when Sale took a quick penalty and cut over the posts to score. Wade added the conversion. Next the forwards and backs linked well to put Veasey-Lark in the corner to score.
There was just two minutes left when Rob Wilson smashed his way through the Basildon defence and rounded the full-back to score. Wade added the conversion to put Beccles just four points behind the opposition.
There was only just time for the restart and Beccles had to keep the ball alive. Sub Hewitt took a quick penalty to put Basildon on the back foot.
When the ball was fed along the line Geyser was able to put Rowney in the clear and he sprinted to dive in at the corner. Wade added an excellent long range conversion to seal the win by 34-31.
Despite struggling early on Beccles never gave up and finished their last home game of the season only having been beaten once at Beef Meadow.
Beccles travel to South Woodham Ferrers in two weeks' time for their final league game of the season.
The winner of that game will be guaranteed third place in the league so Beccles will be looking for a big performance to finish off an excellent season.