Beccles need a victory

Old Streetonians 27, Beccles 15

RUGBY: Beccles continued their disappointing league form with another defeat. Beccles were leading after 60 minutes, but Old Streetonians battled back to win.

Beccles had a full squad to choose from with the exception of Payne. Murray continued at fly-half in his absence. In the pack, Hinsley came back in to the backrow.

Beccles started well and kept the opposition pinned in their own half. They built pressure and were rewarded with a try. Rob Wilson set up a maul short of the line and Wade broke from the back and over the line to score (unconverted).

Old Streetonians battled back and went in to the lead with a couple of penalties. But Wade soon restored the Beccles lead with a penalty, giving them a half-time lead of 8-6.

Beccles had a good start to the second half. After a break from Musker McIntyre man of the match Rayner when he was stopped just short of the line, the ball found its way out to Carver on the wing who sneaked over in the corner. Wade added an excellent conversion from the touchline.

Old Streetonians hit back straight away with a try from the back of a scrum, then went in to the lead with another try. As Beccles pushed to get back in to the lead, a pass was intercepted and Old Streetonians scored under the posts to seal the win 27–15.

Most Read

Beccles need to find some winning form and will be looking to start with victory over the side just above them in the table when they host Harlow tomorrow. This is a must-win game for Beccles if they are to survive in this league.

Norwich II 0, Beccles II 12

Beccles travelled to face last season’s league winners, who had started this campaign with a 100 per cent record.

After the previous week’s disappointing return at Holt, captain Sutton knew that his players needed to raise their standards.

The game started in terrible weather, which got worse, making it difficult for both teams to play.

Beccles started strongly with some good early work from the forwards, Bloomfield jumping well in the line-out, winning his own and plenty of opposition ball.

The front five of Jonathan Pitts, Deroubaix, Downing, King and Cornelius were dominating the scrum, allowing the back row of Pennington, Bloomfield and Sutton, back in his favoured No 6 jumper, to roam free.

A clean catch and drive from a line-out resulted in man of the match Cornelius sprinting over from five metres to score, Harmer just missing the difficult conversion.

The game ebbed and flowed until the Norwich replacement centre was sin-binned and Beccles took full advantage of the extra man.

Strong running from Frost and Larkworthy provided the space for Driver to sprint clear, round the full back and score (converted Sam Harmer), leaving the half-time score at 12–0.

Norwich began to dominate. Beccles were camped inside their own 22 for 20 minutes. Some fantastic tacking from every man, especially Hall, Hoffman and Scotchmer, and poor execution from Norwich kept the Beccles line intact. Norwich were twice held up over the line.

Puxley made tactical substitutions bringing on himself, Carpenter and Bradford to join the defensive effort.

The pressure was relieved and Norwich seemed to realise the game was over for them. A scrum against the head allowed Pennington to charge upfield into the 22. Just as it looked as if he was going to make it into the corner, he was hauled down on the five-metre line and the ball was knocked on.

A massive hit on the Norwich No 8 from Sutton led to another scrum from which the ball was recycled several times before Cornelius drove over again before a last-ditch tackle dislodged the ball and the chance to seal the win was lost.

The missed chances didn’t affect the overall result and Beccles ended Norwich’s unbeaten start and prevented them from scoring for the first time.

Next match sees Beccles II travel to Watton.

Lakenham Ladies 34, Beccles Ladies 10

A hastily-arranged fixture saw Beccles go into a game against a settled experienced Lakenham team with a scratch side, missing several key players.

Beccles borrowed players from Colchester, and so the side took a while to come together.

Lakenham seized the opportunity and Beccles finished the first half 17 points down.

Half-time saw a couple of changes and newcomer Louisa Carter started to make an impact with some great covering tackles and probing runs.

Soon a gap appeared and player of the match Jaye Ash sprinted down the wing to score an unconverted try.

Sophie Blades, playing at eight, had her best game, making some good ground up the middle. Zanna Yallop was back and the opposition felt her ability to carry the ball into contact. Heather Mason, having her first game at nine, was a revelation and distributed the ball well.

The wrecking crew of Georgina Carpenter and Laura Ash were on form and Elizabeth Carpenter shone in her first-ever game on the wing, making some good breaks and at least one try-saving tackle. Ella had a good day at 10.

As the second half progressed a good period of play resulted in a second try for Jay, the conversion again being unsuccessful.

The game finished with the last of the Lakenham tries under the posts.

The scoreline was flattering to Lakenham and does not reflect the hard work, skill and commitment of the Beccles girls.

If they carry on developing, they will soon be a force to be reckoned with.

The next game is on Sunday against UEA Medics.