Beccles one win from promotion
- Credit: Archant
Beccles Town need to win their final game of the season, at Scole, tomorrow to win promotion to the Premier Division.
A 4-1 home win over Hindringham, coupled with Bradenham’s 5-0 win at Scole, and Hellesdon not playing, put the leaders closes to the title.
Beccles started brightly and soon had the visitors under pressure with some well-constructed attacks with all of the midfield and forwards contributing well.
On 10 minutes Beccles got the goal they wanted, and deserved, when Liam Harvey Cooper’s well-flighted corner was met by Lee Glover’s head.
The next 20 minutes were end-to-end with both sides attacking well but not managing to get the ball over the line. On 36 minutes, after two corners, the third from Harvey-Cooper was cleared directly to Luke Bailey on the left corner of the area and he hammered it back on the volley to give Beccles a 2-0 lead.
You may also want to watch:
The second half started much as did the first with both sides trying to attack and Beccles seemed to have the upper hand in terms of number of corners and Bailey, Clark and Harvey-Cooper all went close.
On 55 minutes Beccles extended their lead when David Shade rose to meet Bailey’s corner, although Hindringham were awarded a penalty which was converted by Kevin Clipstone to make it 3-1.
- 1 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143
- 2 Part of A143 closed after three-vehicle crash in early hours
- 3 Let's staycation in...Beccles
- 4 Crime map shows locations of weapons offences in Suffolk
- 5 No need to wait for booster invitation - clarification after Covid jab confusion
- 6 Man dies in industrial incident at plastics factory
- 7 Farm shop owners 'absolutely thrilled' at national award
- 8 New project launched to restore south Norfolk countryside
- 9 New Toolstation store opens in Beccles
- 10 Tyres slashed on parked cars with damage caused overnight in Beccles
Two minutes later another corner resulted in a goalmouth melee and Joe Clark opened his account with a tap-in.
The Reserves lost away at East Harling 3-2 with goals from Jason Clarke and Harley Pluck.
During last week Beccles Town U18 gained a well-deserved 2-1 win over Great Yarmouth U18.
Tomorrow the Reserves are at Belton (2.30pm) before a Wednesday evening game at home to Scole Reserves (7.30pm).