Beccles one win from promotion
- Credit: Archant
Beccles Town need to win their final game of the season, at Scole, tomorrow to win promotion to the Premier Division.
A 4-1 home win over Hindringham, coupled with Bradenham’s 5-0 win at Scole, and Hellesdon not playing, put the leaders closes to the title.
Beccles started brightly and soon had the visitors under pressure with some well-constructed attacks with all of the midfield and forwards contributing well.
On 10 minutes Beccles got the goal they wanted, and deserved, when Liam Harvey Cooper’s well-flighted corner was met by Lee Glover’s head.
The next 20 minutes were end-to-end with both sides attacking well but not managing to get the ball over the line. On 36 minutes, after two corners, the third from Harvey-Cooper was cleared directly to Luke Bailey on the left corner of the area and he hammered it back on the volley to give Beccles a 2-0 lead.
The second half started much as did the first with both sides trying to attack and Beccles seemed to have the upper hand in terms of number of corners and Bailey, Clark and Harvey-Cooper all went close.
On 55 minutes Beccles extended their lead when David Shade rose to meet Bailey’s corner, although Hindringham were awarded a penalty which was converted by Kevin Clipstone to make it 3-1.
- 1 City burger joint takes beef off the menu
- 2 'Incredible turnout' as protesters demand River Waveney clean up
- 3 Traffic to be diverted with road temporarily closed for repair works
- 4 'I keep selling out' - Mum-of-two dreams of fudge shop as business thrives
- 5 Fishing equipment stolen after thieves smash car window
- 6 Queen's Jubilee celebration events aplenty to enjoy in Waveney
- 7 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 8 5 of the best brewery tours in Suffolk
- 9 Heaven & Hell: David Whiteley and Amelia Reynolds
- 10 Vandals damage fence and gate in night-time incident
Two minutes later another corner resulted in a goalmouth melee and Joe Clark opened his account with a tap-in.
The Reserves lost away at East Harling 3-2 with goals from Jason Clarke and Harley Pluck.
During last week Beccles Town U18 gained a well-deserved 2-1 win over Great Yarmouth U18.
Tomorrow the Reserves are at Belton (2.30pm) before a Wednesday evening game at home to Scole Reserves (7.30pm).