Beccles pair through to semi-final
Highlight of the weekend at Beccles Golf Club - for the second year running they have a pair in the UK semi final. The Eastern Regional Final of the International Pairs Summer Matchplay (www.
Highlight of the weekend at Beccles Golf Club - for the second year running they have a pair in the UK semi final.
The Eastern Regional Final of the International Pairs Summer Matchplay (www.internationalpairs.com/uk) was contested between two players from Beccles GC and two from Burghley Park, Stamford.
James Cushing (12 handicap) and Paul Segust (13 handicap) took on Darron Evans (9 handicap) and Greg Shelton (1 handicap).
A very close match took place, but leading by only one hole on the ninth Paul and James got their noses in front and held the lead to finish 4 and 3 on the 16th.
You may also want to watch:
They now go onto Blairgowrie in Scotland in two weeks time for the UK semi-final. Should they make the cut there, they will play in the UK grand final at Carnoustie on the following two days with a chance of qualifying for the world final in 2009.
James commented: “I think home advantage made a difference but it was really tough coming through four rounds of competition. It just seems that myself and Paul gel well, when I have a bad hole he comes good and vice versa.
- 1 Drive-in fireworks display with food village returning for 2021
- 2 Youngsters prepare to take to the stage for debut performance
- 3 Christmas in doubt as toy shop boss 'struggling with stock'
- 4 New Toolstation store opens in Beccles
- 5 School to play key role in supporting pupils' mental health across country
- 6 Tyres slashed on parked cars with damage caused overnight in Beccles
- 7 Waveney schools to bring in additional measures to fight Covid rise
- 8 Man dies in industrial incident at plastics factory
- 9 Man on walking tour of UK's coastline 'met with so much love' in Suffolk
- 10 See Hunter's Moon and Orionid meteors in Suffolk skies tonight
“Hopefully we can continue our good form on to Scotland and possibly represent Beccles in the UK and possibly the world finals of the international pairs.”
This is a really great achievement for one of the smallest clubs in the country to have a pair in the finals for the second year of entering.
All the members at Beccles Golf Club wish Paul and James every success and will be supporting from afar and following all their ups and downs via text and internet. Congratulations again to both the boys for all their hard work in getting into the finals. International pairs is the UK's premier tournament for amateur club golfers.