Beccles pair through to semi-final
Highlight of the weekend at Beccles Golf Club - for the second year running they have a pair in the UK semi final. The Eastern Regional Final of the International Pairs Summer Matchplay (www.
Highlight of the weekend at Beccles Golf Club - for the second year running they have a pair in the UK semi final.
The Eastern Regional Final of the International Pairs Summer Matchplay (www.internationalpairs.com/uk) was contested between two players from Beccles GC and two from Burghley Park, Stamford.
James Cushing (12 handicap) and Paul Segust (13 handicap) took on Darron Evans (9 handicap) and Greg Shelton (1 handicap).
A very close match took place, but leading by only one hole on the ninth Paul and James got their noses in front and held the lead to finish 4 and 3 on the 16th.
They now go onto Blairgowrie in Scotland in two weeks time for the UK semi-final. Should they make the cut there, they will play in the UK grand final at Carnoustie on the following two days with a chance of qualifying for the world final in 2009.
James commented: “I think home advantage made a difference but it was really tough coming through four rounds of competition. It just seems that myself and Paul gel well, when I have a bad hole he comes good and vice versa.
- 1 Weather warning extended as thunderstorms set to hit Norfolk after heatwave
- 2 Amazing pictures of the impact of heatwave captured from microlight
- 3 Town's real ale pub launches new menu with 'something for everyone'
- 4 'Bus week' scheme to protect 'lifeline' route in town
- 5 Care home's failings continue after damning report reveals abuse fears
- 6 Firefighters plea to not use sky lanterns as one lands near large field
- 7 Weather warning as thunderstorms expected to hit Norfolk after heatwave
- 8 New minister appointed for Beccles Salvation Army
- 9 Challenging future for high streets amid fall in shoppers
- 10 Beccles mother publishes new children's book
“Hopefully we can continue our good form on to Scotland and possibly represent Beccles in the UK and possibly the world finals of the international pairs.”
This is a really great achievement for one of the smallest clubs in the country to have a pair in the finals for the second year of entering.
All the members at Beccles Golf Club wish Paul and James every success and will be supporting from afar and following all their ups and downs via text and internet. Congratulations again to both the boys for all their hard work in getting into the finals. International pairs is the UK's premier tournament for amateur club golfers.