Beccles players gunning for titles
THE Beccles Men's team reached the final of the County Bowls League on Sunday when they beat Ipswich by 91-65, winning on all four rinks. In the final at Mid Suffolk on Saturday, March 20 their opponents will be Sudbury in a repeat of last year's final, which was won by Beccles.
THE Beccles Men's team reached the final of the County Bowls League on Sunday when they beat Ipswich by 91-65, winning on all four rinks.
In the final at Mid Suffolk on Saturday, March 20 their opponents will be Sudbury in a repeat of last year's final, which was won by Beccles.
Rink scores home: R Stanton, P Clarke, J Knights, M Todd 22; M Finney 21. G Catchpole, R Ward, G Ramsbottom, D Wood 30; D Snape 13. Away: S Greenslade, D Catchpole, R Denny, M Cole 19; M Page 16. N Plant, T Wright, A Cook, S Cook 20; P Page 15.
Beccles were well represented at the Ladies' County semi-finals at Risbygate last weekend and had several winners going forward to the county finals which will be played at Haverhill tomorrow and Sunday.
You may also want to watch:
In the ladies' singles Beccles are certain to have its first-ever county champion as the final will be an all-Beccles affair between Louise Catchpole and Kirsty Clarke.
Louise will also contest the U25 singles and champion of champion finals, whilst Kirsty will be playing in the final of the two-wood singles.
- 1 Man seen waving axe on horseback is jailed
- 2 Mattresses among items dumped in East Suffolk countryside
- 3 'Illegal and unsafe' - Rave attended by 100 revellers is shut down
- 4 Private coastal school joins partnership to continue 'academic excellence'
- 5 New McDonald's restaurant to open with safety measures in place
- 6 Tired but delighted - five businesses look back on first week reopen
- 7 McDonald's branch to close for up to three months
- 8 Travellers set up 'unauthorised' camp near to popular park in Oulton Broad
- 9 Latitude line-up reveal delayed as bosses look to learn from Liverpool test
- 10 Norfolk's Covid rate still low despite slight rises in some areas
The semi-finals topped off a great weekend for these two young bowlers who also reached the national finals of the unbadged pairs on Friday evening with a convincing win over a pair from North Walsham.
In the mixed triples, 2008 title winners Margaret Moore, Cyril Moore and David Wood came from behind to win through to the final. In the other semi-final there was a narrow defeat for Loiuse Catchpole, John Catchpole and Ian Catchpole.
In the two-wood triples Maureen Wright, Nora Rutherford and Barbara Capon won their semi-final but in the three-wood triples there was disappointment for Margaret Moore, Vel Beardsley and Gloria Smith. Vel and Gloria were also unlucky to lose in the pairs.
For the first time the county are holding a junior mixed champion of champion singles competition and Beccles were represented by Toby Palmer, who lost out in the semi-finals to a more experienced opponent.