Beccles players gunning for titles
THE Beccles Men's team reached the final of the County Bowls League on Sunday when they beat Ipswich by 91-65, winning on all four rinks. In the final at Mid Suffolk on Saturday, March 20 their opponents will be Sudbury in a repeat of last year's final, which was won by Beccles.
THE Beccles Men's team reached the final of the County Bowls League on Sunday when they beat Ipswich by 91-65, winning on all four rinks.
In the final at Mid Suffolk on Saturday, March 20 their opponents will be Sudbury in a repeat of last year's final, which was won by Beccles.
Rink scores home: R Stanton, P Clarke, J Knights, M Todd 22; M Finney 21. G Catchpole, R Ward, G Ramsbottom, D Wood 30; D Snape 13. Away: S Greenslade, D Catchpole, R Denny, M Cole 19; M Page 16. N Plant, T Wright, A Cook, S Cook 20; P Page 15.
Beccles were well represented at the Ladies' County semi-finals at Risbygate last weekend and had several winners going forward to the county finals which will be played at Haverhill tomorrow and Sunday.
You may also want to watch:
In the ladies' singles Beccles are certain to have its first-ever county champion as the final will be an all-Beccles affair between Louise Catchpole and Kirsty Clarke.
Louise will also contest the U25 singles and champion of champion finals, whilst Kirsty will be playing in the final of the two-wood singles.
- 1 Drive-in fireworks display with food village returning for 2021
- 2 Youngsters prepare to take to the stage for debut performance
- 3 Christmas in doubt as toy shop boss 'struggling with stock'
- 4 New Toolstation store opens in Beccles
- 5 School to play key role in supporting pupils' mental health across country
- 6 Tyres slashed on parked cars with damage caused overnight in Beccles
- 7 Waveney schools to bring in additional measures to fight Covid rise
- 8 Man dies in industrial incident at plastics factory
- 9 Man on walking tour of UK's coastline 'met with so much love' in Suffolk
- 10 See Hunter's Moon and Orionid meteors in Suffolk skies tonight
The semi-finals topped off a great weekend for these two young bowlers who also reached the national finals of the unbadged pairs on Friday evening with a convincing win over a pair from North Walsham.
In the mixed triples, 2008 title winners Margaret Moore, Cyril Moore and David Wood came from behind to win through to the final. In the other semi-final there was a narrow defeat for Loiuse Catchpole, John Catchpole and Ian Catchpole.
In the two-wood triples Maureen Wright, Nora Rutherford and Barbara Capon won their semi-final but in the three-wood triples there was disappointment for Margaret Moore, Vel Beardsley and Gloria Smith. Vel and Gloria were also unlucky to lose in the pairs.
For the first time the county are holding a junior mixed champion of champion singles competition and Beccles were represented by Toby Palmer, who lost out in the semi-finals to a more experienced opponent.