Beccles power to victory
Beccles put in an awesome performance to become the first team to win at Division 4NE leaders Colchester.In winning 22-18 they avenged their only home defeat of the season so far in the process.
Colchester 18, Beccles 22
Beccles put in an awesome performance to become the first team to win at Division 4NE leaders Colchester.
In winning 22-18 they avenged their only home defeat of the season so far in the process.
Colchester started well and when Paul Wilson was sent to the sin bin they went in to the lead with a penalty. Beccles held out with 14 men and then were able to reply with a penalty of their own from Wade.
Beccles began to show some attacking threat and managed to score with half-time approaching.
From a quick penalty Paul Wilson brought the ball forward, it was recycled quickly and Rowney cut between two defenders and fed Porter who went over for the try. The conversion was added by Wade.
- 1 City burger joint takes beef off the menu
- 2 'Incredible turnout' as protesters demand River Waveney clean up
- 3 Traffic to be diverted with road temporarily closed for repair works
- 4 Fishing equipment stolen after thieves smash car window
- 5 'I keep selling out' - Mum-of-two dreams of fudge shop as business thrives
- 6 Queen's Jubilee celebration events aplenty to enjoy in Waveney
- 7 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 8 5 of the best brewery tours in Suffolk
- 9 Heaven & Hell: David Whiteley and Amelia Reynolds
- 10 Memorial garden unveiled as centre's open day is a success
It was nearly half-time but Beccles still had time for another try. Colchester took a quick line-out but good pressure by the Beccles backs caused the ball to fall loose in the middle.
Hinsley got his boot to the ball and Rowney sprinted clear. He hacked on and picked up to touch down under the posts and Wade added the conversion for 17-3.
Colchester started the second half well and soon scored a try.
This was converted to reduce the arrears to seven points but Beccles soon replied with a score to stretch their lead again.
Sale broke down the blind side from a scrum and passed to Wade who chipped over the last defender for Sale to score out wide.
There was 15 minutes left and Colchester started to throw everything they had at Beccles. They scored to bring them to within seven points again, before Hall was sent to the sin bin.
The visitors defended heroically although Colchester further reduced the arrears with a penalty after Murray had been sent to the sin bin.
For the last two minutes Beccles were trapped right on their try line but their defence was excellent and the opposition couldn't find a way through.