Beccles produce their best rugby
Beccles 35, Sudbury 12BECCLES put in their best performance of the season to secure an emphatic win over third-placed Sudbury.Beccles scored regularly throughout the London League Division Four NE game and won by 35-12, moving up to fourth place in the table as a result.
Beccles 35, Sudbury 12
BECCLES put in their best performance of the season to secure an emphatic win over third-placed Sudbury.
Beccles scored regularly throughout the London League Division Four NE game and won by 35-12, moving up to fourth place in the table as a result.
Beccles made only one change from the previous week with Owen Hadridge coming in at scrum half. Paul Wilson continued as captain in place of the injured Ling.
You may also want to watch:
Beccles started the game well with the forwards carrying the ball at the opposition. They were soon ahead with two Murray penalties.
Beccles then got the first try of the game. Good pressure from the Beccles defence caused Sudbury to spill the ball on their own line, allowing Wade to touch down. Murray added the conversion.
- 1 Man seen waving axe on horseback is jailed
- 2 Mattresses among items dumped in East Suffolk countryside
- 3 Travellers set up 'unauthorised' camp near to popular park in Oulton Broad
- 4 Woman in 20s suffers serious leg injuries in late night crash
- 5 Four men arrested after teenager robbed
- 6 Private coastal school joins partnership to continue 'academic excellence'
- 7 McDonald's branch to close for up to three months
- 8 'Illegal and unsafe' - Rave attended by 100 revellers is shut down
- 9 New McDonald's restaurant to open with safety measures in place
- 10 Theatre group to put on Joseph show - 17 months after original date
Beccles turned over Sudbury ball in the Sudbury 22. The ball went wide to Payne, who chipped through. Gedney showed his pace and beat the Sudbury defenders for the touchdown.
There was time for one more try before half-time. The Beccles pack was on top in the scrum, led by Musker McIntyre man of the match Danny Rix.
They put pressure on a Sudbury scrum on their own line and when the ball shot out the side, Paul Wilson was first to the ball for a touchdown.
This gave Beccles a half-time lead of 23-0.
Beccles started the second half as they finished the first and soon scored another try.
A long kick through was chased well by the Beccles backs. They dislodged the ball from the full back's grip and Green touched down for a try.
Beccles then had a poor 10 minutes and Sudbury got on the score sheet with two tries.
Beccles got their game going again and snuffed out any threat from the opposition.
As the game moved into injury time Beccles scored one more try. Sudbury were on the attack but Murray intercepted a long pass and sprinted the length of the field to score under the posts. He added the conversion to give a final score of 35-12.
Beccles have a break from league fixtures this weekend and entertain Thetford in a friendly at Beef Meadow.