Beccles put defeats behind them to boost promotion challenge
- Credit: Sonya Duncan
Beccles Town got back to winning ways at the weekend with a clinical eight wicket win over Great Witchingham at Beef Meadow.
The visitors won the toss and decided to bat first. In front of a large home crowd the Beccles bowlers kept scoring at a minimum while working to create chances.
The introduction of in-form Matt Lowe got Beccles the breakthrough as he removed the dangerous opener. Lowe (9-28-2) and Marcus Hayes (9-23-2) bowled well in tandem and soon had the visitors on the back foot with the score on 83-4.
Ian Ruddock (9-19-2) was introduced into the attack and claimed two fine wickets with precise spin bowling, including a superb slip catch by captain George. It was then left to the opening bowlers to return and straight away Stuart Watkins (9-39-1) took the wicket of Witchingham’s last recognised batsman with the help of a superb catch in the deep from Lowe. Alex Wright (9-29-1) completed the bowling effort with a wicket of his own and as the visitors set a score of 142-8.
In reply openers Robert Porter and George Milton batted patiently before, with the score on 34, Milton (10) was caught behind and chairman Chris Robson joined Porter in the middle. Robson took on he role of aggressor and the pair batted well until a fine Porter knock of 34 came to end with an edge to the keeper. With the score on 97-2 Wright joined Robson (45) and made his intentions clear from the off. Robson’s role turned into strike rotation as Wright (39) wasted no time delivering boundary after boundary on his way to a match-ending pull for six and an eight wicket win.
You may also want to watch:
Hickman Supplies man of the match: Marcus Hayes.
Beccles look to continue their push for promotion as they travel to Saham Toney tomorrow (1pm).
- 1 Life sentence for convicted rapist who attempted to murder Norfolk woman
- 2 Man dies in industrial incident at plastics factory
- 3 The community hub bringing the heart of Beccles together
- 4 Toolstation opens new store in Beccles
- 5 Free October half term events around Beccles and Bungay
- 6 Five Halloween events planned in Waveney this year
- 7 Woman's body found at Loddon home
- 8 MP still hopes to host surgeries in person after colleague killed
- 9 An A to Z of East Anglian cider
- 10 Health watchdog's concerns over 87-year-old's hospital discharge