Beccles RFC show some promise on eve of new league season
- Credit: Archant
Beccles narrowly lost their only pre-season friendly, going down 17-12 to Crusaders on Saturday.
Beccles put in a good performance but missed a couple of good chances to win the game before sliding to a narrow defeat.
They fielded a team with a blend of youth and experience. Hinsley, Wilson and Ling have all returned to the set-up this season to add much needed experience to the squad.
After a season at Southwold Harmer has returned to the team in the centre while it was Gedney’s first game as captain.
Beccles started the game and kept possession well, putting Crusaders on the back foot. They couldn’t break down Crusaders however and the home side started to turn the game round and it was then the turn of Beccles to be on the back foot.
You may also want to watch:
Beccles put in some terrific defence on their own line but they were eventually broken down as Crusaders powered over for the first score.
The score stayed this way till half-time.
- 1 Life sentence for convicted rapist who attempted to murder Norfolk woman
- 2 Honda motorbike stolen in overnight theft in Bungay
- 3 Man dies in industrial incident at plastics factory
- 4 The community hub bringing the heart of Beccles together
- 5 Toolstation opens new store in Beccles
- 6 Free October half term events around Beccles and Bungay
- 7 MP still hopes to host surgeries in person after colleague killed
- 8 Five Halloween events planned in Waveney this year
- 9 An A to Z of East Anglian cider
- 10 New brewery restaurant opens for tapas nights, afternoon tea and more
Beccles were first on the scoresheet in the second half as Harmer cut through the Crusaders’ defence to score then added the conversion to put his side ahead at 5-7.
Crusaders came back at Beccles and forced a try of their own to go back into the lead. As the game moved in to the last 10 minutes they added another to stretch their lead.
Beccles finished the game strongly and could have forced the win.
Gedney and Suchy both fumbled the ball when appearing to be in for a certain try. Eventually Beccles did add another, try with Suchy making amends with a touchdown in the corner.
This was a good performance by Beccles. They still have players to come back in to the squad which will mean there is competition for places.
Both teams start their league campaigns on Saturday. The first team travel to Broadland-Great Yarmouth for their first fixture in Greene King IPA Eastern Counties One North and the second team also hit the road to take on Norwich III.
The club are still looking for players to add to the squad. Players of any experience and ability will be welcomed and anyone interest is invited to come along to training which is on Wednesday evenings (7.30 to 9pm) or call coach Stuart Adams on 07795 415028 for more information.