North Walsham II 7 Beccles 25: Excellent win takes Bulls eight points clear at top
Beccles extended their lead at the top of Eastern Counties One North after a hard-fought victory against closest rivals North Walsham II.
In one of their best performances in the last few years Beccles came away from Scottow with a 25-7 win.
Beccles chose to attack into the wind and rain in the first half and knew it would be tough. After starting well the ball was spilt and North Walsham picked up and cut through the defence to open the scoring.
The Beccles defence worked hard to repel the North Walsham attacks. Good kicking by Kauri and Hannam continued to relieve the pressure while good line-out work from Maeer and Catling won some solid ball.
As the half went on Beccles managed to work their way out of their half and win a couple of penalties that were just about in kickable range into the strong wind. Kauri slotted one of these and the hosts led at half time by 7-3.
You may also want to watch:
Beccles used the wind themselves in the second half and kept North Walsham pinned back and quickly took control with their opening try. A kick over the top came up short of the Walsham line. The winger collected the ball but was quickly turned over by Kauri who fed inside to Holtzer who powered his way over the line. The conversion was added.
North Walsham were hard to break down but the Beccles pack stepped up and began to get on top. From a line-out just inside the North Walsham 22 the pack drove the ball towards the line and Holtzer splintered off just short to go over for his second try. Again the conversion was added.
- 1 New Toolstation store opens in Beccles
- 2 Tyres slashed on parked cars with damage caused overnight in Beccles
- 3 School to play key role in supporting pupils' mental health across country
- 4 Drive-in fireworks display with food village returning for 2021
- 5 Transport pilot launched to help isolated communities around Bungay
- 6 Quarry restoration to take six more years after delays
- 7 Man dies in industrial incident at plastics factory
- 8 See Hunter's Moon and Orionid meteors in Suffolk skies tonight
- 9 Do you have rare East Anglian apples growing in your garden?
- 10 Can you help bring festive cheer to children in care this Christmas?
North Walsham came back hard but again the Beccles defence was excellent. With time running out Beccles again worked their way back deep in to the Walsham half and after a number of tight drives by the forwards Pitts burrowed his way over to complete the scoring.
Beccles have now moved eight points clear of North Walsham in the league and now have a week off before entertaining Norwich Union.
After having a couple of games cancelled due to lack of players the second team finally kicked off their season with a Friday night game against Southwold II. With five players playing their first game of rugby this was a steep learning curve against a strong team and Beccles went by 96-0 but there were some encouraging signs as the inexperienced Beccles side never gave up. This week the seconds travel to Norwich Union II in the Norfolk Bowl.