Beccles Sailing Club round-up
During the half-term holidays the Beccles Amateur Sailing Club Junior Fleet attended a coaching course run by father and son team of Richard and Matthew Deller, both RYA Level Two Coaches. They were helped by parents of the sailors to man the galley and crew the safety boat.
With a strong breeze blowing and the sun shining for most of the day, it was near-perfect conditions that the fleet were put though their paces both in the classroom and on the water.
They sailed a mixture of dinghies including Oppies, Toppers, Lasers and Fevas. Hopefully, the extra coaching should set up crews well for the Icicle Series which starts this Sunday on the River Waveney.
Meanwhile, autumn sunshine and a light south-westerly wind drew 13 boats to the water on Saturday for the last round of the Winter Tankard, Tann Trophy and Cinnabar Trophy at Beccles ASC.
Close racing by Jake Shipley in Hell Raiser, Rory Kelsey and Georgie Roll in Evil Edna denied Mark Langston in Radical Posture the silverware as Commodore Richard Deller, in Cuddles, had in previous weeks done enough to earn himself top place.
You may also want to watch:
Good battles and numerous position changes between Charlie Folkard, Jake Smalls, Jemma Smalls and Katie Roll in the Topper fleet, with brother and sister first over the line in each of two rounds, left Folkard in Charlie II taking well-deserved victory overall in the Tann Trophy.
With half-term holidays taking a toll on numbers, two Optimists took to the water for the last round of the Cinnabar Trophy.
- 1 Is this your Range Rover? - Police seize vehicles and cash in raid
- 2 Air ambulance called after man and woman suffer medical emergencies
- 3 Driver flees after crashing into level crossing
- 4 'Lucky number seven' - Landlord opens 'flagship' pub in hometown
- 5 Norfolk has no Covid patients in critical care for first time in six months
- 6 On the buses: Mobile Covid vaccination service is launched
- 7 'Complete negligence' - anger as sports clubs locked out of playing fields
- 8 'On top of the world' - Joy as shops new and old reopen in Beccles
- 9 Picturesque Bungay retirement home officially Grade II listed
- 10 Driver suffers minor injuries in crash with minibus
Rachael and Billy Folkard completed two rounds to give Elina Edwards top place overall, with Rachael Folkard second and George Curtis Third.
Results - Winter Tankard Race One (7): 1 Hell Raiser (J Shipley), 2 Evil Edna (R Kelsey/G Roll, 3 Radical Posture (M Langston).
Tann Trophy Race One (5): 1 Red Hot (J Smalls), 2 Tip Top (J Smalls), 3 Red Legend (K Roll).
Cinnabar Trophy Race One (2): 1 Rachael (R Folkard), 2 Club Oppie (B Folkard).
Winter Tankard Race Two (9): 1 Hell Raiser, 2 Evil Edna, 3 Radical Posture (M Langston).
Tann Trophy Race Two (4): 1 Tip Top, 2 Red Hot, 3 Red Legend (K Roll).
Cinnabar Trophy Race Two (2): 1 Rachael, 2 Club Oppie.
Winter Tankard Overall (27): 1 Cuddles (R Deller), 2 Radical Posture, 3 Evil Edna.
Tann Trophy Overall (9): 1 Charlie 2 (C Folkard), 2 Mambo Jambo (R Curtis), 3 Red Legend.
Cinnabar Trophy Overall (10): 1 Cinnabar (E Edwards), 2 Rachael, 3 Robin Hood (G Curtis)