Beccles share the points
Wisbech 17, Beccles 17After securing the league title the previous week, Beccles RFC first team faced a tough trip to third-placed Wisbech. After a hard-fought game the scores finished all square.
Wisbech 17, Beccles 17
After securing the league title the previous week, Beccles RFC first team faced a tough trip to third-placed Wisbech.
After a hard-fought game the scores finished all square.
Wisbech had to win to keep up their promotion challenge so Beccles knew they were in for a hard game.
You may also want to watch:
Beccles gave some of the younger players a chance with Scotchner, Tipple and Calver given starts.
Wisbech pressed Beccles early on, but when a pass went to ground Calver was on hand to collect the ball and sprint from inside his own half to score his first try for the first team.
- 1 Roundabout memorial bid for the 'Ole Chicken Man of Bungay'
- 2 'Anti-social rider' has quadbike seized in the snow
- 3 Paramedics respond after woman suffers medical emergency
- 4 Everything we know so far about Covid vaccinations in Norfolk and Waveney
- 5 Car park's £500 price hike was 'callous', town council says
- 6 'Disappointment' as thieves raid £16,000 of kit from town's sports club
- 7 'Beccles Mafia' reported to police for harassing elderly shoppers
- 8 'Be vigilant' plea after rise in vehicle thefts
- 9 New vaccination centre will open to cope with demand across Waveney
- 10 Hunt for man who deliberately drove Mercedes into cyclist
Wade added the conversion, then Wisbech put Beccles under pressure and the visitors let them back in the game with two gifted tries.
First Murray had his clearance kick charged down, leading to a try. He then failed to collect a kick over the top, leaving Wisbech clear through for a second.
They extended their lead when Beccles lost the ball on the 22 and Wisbech exploited the gaps around the resulting ruck.
As the first half drew to a close Beccles began to exert some pressure of their own.
They reduced the deficit when they moved the ball wide and Gedney found room to squeeze over in the corner. Half time: 17-12.
In the second half Beccles had Wisbech pinned on their own line for a long period with the forwards having a number of drives at the line held up by some Wisbech foul play.
They finally when the ball was moved wide and Musker McIntyre man-of-the-match Calver went over for his second in the corner.
Both sides struggled to make chances after this.
Wisbech had one penalty opportunity which was missed before the game finished with the scores tied at 17-17.
Beccles have one more league game this season.
That is in two weeks' time when they host Wymondham.
They will be looking to finish their season by maintaining their 100 per cent home record.