Beccles so close to victory
BECCLES, bottom of Alliance One, were unlucky to lose by one wicket at high-flying Swardeston A after an improved performance. Beccles won the toss and, with two late arrivals, elected to bat.
BECCLES, bottom of Alliance One, were unlucky to lose by one wicket at high-flying Swardeston A after an improved performance.
Beccles won the toss and, with two late arrivals, elected to bat. The surprise combination of Ian Ruddock and Alex Sydenham made a slow start, Sydenham being bowled after four overs. Dick Porter was at the crease for three overs and five runs before being caught behind by wicketkeeper Bailey, one of his many catches during the afternoon.
Richard Turrell got the scoreboard ticking over as he hit the ball to all parts of the boundary before Bailey claimed Ruddock as his next victim, new boy Clemence joining Turrell. Their partnership stood at two when Turrell was caught by Shearing. David Turrell and Pascal Van Huffell each partnered Clemence but made little impact on the scoreboard. The arrival of David George and Michael Fisher began a solid partnership of 52, but the innings closed on 131 with extras being the second highest scorer in 46 overs.
Taylor and Cadge made an explosive start for Swardeston, notching up 40 runs before Cadge was caught by Rich Turrell. With Bilham joining Taylor at the crease Beccles changed tactics, slow bowlers Ruddock and George were introduced and slowed the game down dramatically.
You may also want to watch:
Wickets continued to fall at regular intervals, wicketkeeper Glen Wright taking three catches and David Turrell continuing his bowling attack of last season took four wickets as Swardeston made 132 for 9.
- 1 New Toolstation store opens in Beccles
- 2 Tyres slashed on parked cars with damage caused overnight in Beccles
- 3 School to play key role in supporting pupils' mental health across country
- 4 Transport pilot launched to help isolated communities around Bungay
- 5 Drive-in fireworks display with food village returning for 2021
- 6 Quarry restoration to take six more years after delays
- 7 Man dies in industrial incident at plastics factory
- 8 See Hunter's Moon and Orionid meteors in Suffolk skies tonight
- 9 Honda motorbike stolen in overnight theft in Bungay
- 10 Do you have rare East Anglian apples growing in your garden?