Beccles still seek win
Beccles travelled to Diss still searching for their first win, and with overnight rain it looked doubtful if they would play. After they arrived at the ground things didn't look much better, but an agreement between umpires and captains saw the match reduced to 35 overs and a 2.
Beccles travelled to Diss still searching for their first win, and with overnight rain it looked doubtful if they would play. After they arrived at the ground things didn't look much better, but an agreement between umpires and captains saw the match reduced to 35 overs and a 2.30pm start. However, Beccles missed the chance of victory.
Beccles won the toss and decided to bat. Alex Sydenham and Daniel Vihm opened, Diss striking early, claiming Sydenham for two with the score on three. Patnell and Vihm steadied things, putting on 37 before Patnell was bowled for 19.
Wickets then fell on a steady basis with only Vihm (20) and Patnell (19) offering any resistance till some late-order hitting from captain David Turrell. He got 54 at the end of the innings to see Beccles to a respectable score of 135 to bowl at from their 35 overs.
Beccles started their defence of 136 well with Vihm striking in his first over to have Diss 1-7 trapping opener Brown in front plum for two.
You may also want to watch:
Two overs later Dave Turrell struck to have Diss 2-16 and Beccles right in the game.
But a hard-hitting 63 from Cooper and 35 not out from Dawson saw Diss get the winning score with the loss of only four wickets.
- 1 Part of A143 closed after three-vehicle crash in early hours
- 2 No need to wait for booster invitation - clarification after Covid jab confusion
- 3 Farm shop owners 'absolutely thrilled' at national award
- 4 Christmas in doubt as toy shop boss 'struggling with stock'
- 5 Youngsters prepare to take to the stage for debut performance
- 6 Let's staycation in...Beccles
- 7 Psychic to use 'special gift' at Bungay's Fisher Theatre
- 8 Man dies in industrial incident at plastics factory
- 9 New Toolstation store opens in Beccles
- 10 Local recruitment crisis for dentists in east Suffolk
Daniel Vihm was the pick of the bowlers, taking 2-32 from his allotted overs. It was a game in which Beccles had a chance, but they let slip - and hopefully a win is just around the corner.