Beccles top their rugby section

Beccles 24, Billericay 0Beccles got back to winning ways in London Division 3NE with a solid win against Billericay. In a game dominated by the two packs, Beccles took their chances well.

Beccles 24, Billericay 0

Beccles got back to winning ways in London Division 3NE with a solid win against Billericay. In a game dominated by the two packs, Beccles took their chances well.

Billericay started the game well and had Beccles pinned on their own line for the first 15 minutes.

The big Billericay forwards were trying to batter their way over the line, but strong tackling by the Beccles pack round the fringes meant that they couldn't find a way through.

Beccles worked their way out of defence towards the halfway line. When they won a penalty, Sale took it quickly and broke through the static Billericay defence. He was stopped just short of the try line but the ruck was cleared quickly by the Beccles support and the ball was fed to Williamson, who rounded the defence to score. Wade added the conversion.

Beccles were spending more time in the opposition's half now. They soon won another penalty which Wade converted, to make the half-time score 10-0.

Most Read

Billericay continued trying to break down the Beccles defence with their forwards in the second half, but couldn't find a way through the solid home tackling.

Beccles soaked up the pressure and were then able to extend their lead when they turned over ball on the edge of the Billericay 22. The ball was quickly fed out to the centres, where Williamson broke through the defence before feeding the ball to Musker McIntyre man of the match Sale, who scored under the posts. Wade added the conversion.

As the match drew towards a close, Beccles scored again. The forwards won ball at the lineout and drove deep into the opposition's half. The ball was fed out to the backs and then chipped over the upcoming defence. Williamson collected the chip and rounded the full-back to score his second try. Wade sealed a 24-0 win with the conversion.

Beccles remain top of the league. They now face a trip to West Norfolk tomorrow. It will be a top versus bottom clash, but Beccles know they will face a tough test and will have to put in a good performance to come away with the points.

Thurston II 26, Beccles III 0

Beccles third team continued their nomadic season with another away fixture at Thurston, who proved to be good spirited and hospitable opponents.

Beccles were boosted by the return of Charlie Hall after injury. Cemil Davey-Durak, Jason Seeley and Max Schamer also unselfishly agreed to travel despite having been originally selected for the second XV's home fixture.

Beccles started well and had Thurston pinned to their try line for the opening 10 minutes, before a spilt ball led to Thurston's pacy outside centre hacking through and travelling the length of the pitch for the opening score against the run of play.

The well-drilled Thurston pack started to monopolise the set piece, limiting Beccles' possession to turnovers secured by tenacious defence, with Charlie Hall to the fore, ably supported by Liam Knock and Jack Hatcher.

Beccles were further disrupted by the loss in quick succession of skipper Michael Penney and winger Andrew Atkinson, both having to leave the field with facial injuries.

In the second half with the wind at their backs Thurston became increasingly dominant. However, strong tackling, with Charlie Ruffles, Stefan Holmes and debutant Nobby prominent, limited Thurston to three further tries, despite being camped in the Beccles 22 for almost the whole half.

On their occasional breakouts, the Beccles three-quarter line looked threatening, with Chris Frost adding pace from full back, but they did not score the try their efforts deserved.

Man of the match was Max Schamer, whose tireless covering and brave clearing work showed his potential as a future first XV scrum half.

Any players who would like to join the third team for traditional social rugby are welcome at training on Tuesday nights, or should contact Michael Penney on the club's website.

Beccles U14 7, Wymondham U14 77

With wind, rain and hail just before kick-off this was going to be a game full of knock-ons, dropped balls and mistakes.

Beccles started well and the forwards were dominant in the loose, the rucking and mauling was excellent, producing good ball for the backs. Beccles welcomed two new signings and they slotted in well.

Beccles lost Ben Taylor early on. After a try-saving tackle he was carried off the pitch with a knee injury. Beccles had to reshuffle and Wymondham made the most of this and were soon on the score sheet.

The Wymondham backs were very well drilled and soon realised they could move the ball out to the wings, creating overlaps to score.

Beccles who were getting sucked in, allowing Wymondham to use the full width of the pitch with some superb passing in very difficult conditions.

In the second half Beccles lost Aiden Goldsmith with a back injury from a lineout. Beccles' inexperience and poor tackling let them down on the day, but they kept going to the end and were rewarded with a converted try for their efforts.

A good breakaway saw Beccles' best move of the match with the ball going through the phases and great support play resulting in a penalty when Wymondham killed the ball in their own 22.

Connor Shipley who worked tirelessly all game taking the quick penalty and using all his strength to crash over the line to score, converted by Cam Armstrong.

This was a good physical game and although Beccles were well beaten they can learn a lot from this.

Mr Kings man of the match: Connor Shipley.

Next match Woodbridge on December 13 away.

Midweek training starts Wednesdays 7-8pm, all U14 welcome.