Beccles Town beaten by higher ranked visitors in Suffolk Senior Cup
- Credit: Nick Butcher
Beccles Town bowed out of Suffolk Senior Cup when they were by beaten at home by Thurlow Nunn League side Debenham LC.
Debenham have had a good start to the season so Beccles expected a tough encounter and this proved to be the case.
Both teams started off at pace and the visitors were dominating wing play with License creating havoc, getting in several good crosses. An unfortunate tackle on Sam Roberts meant he was forced to come off, with Aaron Jones replacing him.
Rob Bishop could not quite latch on to a good through ball and the chance was wasted and late in the half, with both sides having defended well, Beccles slipped up. They stopped play on a linesman’s flag in anticipation of a free-kick for offside but the referee waved play on, allowing Jack Severy an easy opening goal.
Debenham continued to dominate at the start of the second half, but Beccles tried to get back into the game and some good crosses just failed to find a free forward.
You may also want to watch:
Neil Hurren replaced Lee Squires with a change of formation and Beccles became more attacking but were unable to pierce a resolute Debenham defence.
On 70 minutes Debenham went 2-0 up when Bradley Austin, who had just come on as substitute, latched on to a close range cross to score.
- 1 Voyeur watched people after setting up secret cameras in bathroom
- 2 'Anti-social rider' has quadbike seized in the snow
- 3 Car park's £500 price hike was 'callous', town council says
- 4 Name unveiled for new Bungay SEND school
- 5 Norfolk's first mass Covid vaccination centre to open in food court
- 6 Butchers' could be converted into cafe under new plans
- 7 'Disappointment' as thieves raid £16,000 of kit from town's sports club
- 8 'Beccles Mafia' reported to police for harassing elderly shoppers
- 9 Bid for 40 new homes meets fresh opposition
- 10 Tributes to man, 31, who died on Christmas Day
From this point Beccles were unable to get back into the match and it was not long before Debenham added a third, courtesy of their captain Ross Myhill who converted another excellent cross. To be fair Beccles did not deserve to lose by such a margin but were in the main outclassed by a well organised side from a higher level.
Meanwhile the Reserves were visiting division toppers AC Mill Lane for an Anglian Combination D5S match and in spite of an excellent display lost an exciting game 4-2 (Harley Pluck 2).
The previous Thursday the U-18s travelled to league leaders Gorleston and did not have the luck on the night and lost 3-1,
Tomorrow the first team entertain Blofield (2.30pm) and the Reserves travel to Yelverton Reserves, both in the league. On Wednesday evening the U-18s entertain Norwich United (7.45pm).
Beccles Town: Cable, S Roberts, Glover, Shade, Squire, Grimmer, Brown, Shaw, Godbold, Bishop, Gill. Subs: Hurren, Jones.