Beccles Town 1 Scole United 1: Injury worry for Beccles after draw

PUBLISHED: 08:20 25 January 2019


Following two very different away losses the Wherrymen were eager to get back on the points trail and welcomed Scole United, who had beaten them in the first game of the season.

Challenging for a high ball on six minutes, Joe Clark fell awkwardly and was forced to go off, to be replaced by Neil Hurren.

Beccles went close when Bailey’s long ball from defence was chested down by Hurren but he shot straight at the keeper and fired the rebound over the bar.

Twenty minutes of midfield exchanges saw few opportunities until a long clearance beat the Beccles back four and left Manning to beat Cable from close in to open the scoring.

From the start of the second half Beccles created a good attack which ended when Hunt volleyed the final pass over the bar and several more well constructed attacks ended with blocked shots.

On 58 minutes Owen Brighton was sent on to replace Bee and almost immediately a dipping long shot from Bishop was tipped over the bar by the Scole keeper, followed by a repeat, but this time from Staines. Scole struck back and Beccles escaped with a brilliant clearance off the line by Francis. A series of attacks applied the pressure on Scole and from a third corner a goalmouth scramble was put into the net by a visiting defender to level the score at 1-1 with 70 minutes gone.

From that point Beccles took the game to Scole and the last 20 minutes were almost a continuous attack. Hurren created several excellent chances but continually found the Scole keeper in his way. Harmer and Hunt combined well down the right but the final shot found the side netting and both Bailey and Bishop had good chances, but shot wide or high.

With five minutes to go Bailey made one of his typical runs and was eventually tripped just outside of the penalty area, Hurren took the free-kick which was once again straight at the Scole keeper. One can only speculate over Clark’s injury which robbed Beccles of their main striker but others have to step up to cover his absence.

The Reserves had no game but remain in second place in Division Four after Saturday’s games.

Tomorrow Beccles play their final home game for three weeks when they entertain Hellesdon (2.30pm).

The Reserves travel to Thorpe Rec to play St Andrews Reserves, currently 10th (2pm).

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Beccles and Bungay Journal. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Beccles and Bungay Journal