Beccles Town 3 Norwich United U-21s 1: Wherrymen win to move up to third in table
- Credit: Archant
Beccles Town welcomed Norwich United U21, who they beat 4-0 away a few weeks back, and completed a quick double when they won 3-1.
Beccles opened up with a well-constructed series of attacks, using both wings well and Hurren and Clark moving the opponents defence all over the place and both Clark and Bailey going close.
United worked hard and moved the ball well but did not have enough quality to get the better of Shaw and Boyd. On 32 minutes Clark opened the scoring after a superb run down the centre from the halfway line and an excellent finish and minutes later he picked up a rebound from a defender and easily beat the keeper from close to make it 2-0.
The second half was dominated by the Beccles midfield, with Heaney and Brown covering the whole pitch and prompting some brilliant attacking football. Bailey and Bee made great runs down their wings but their crosses always seemed to find a visiting defender, leaving Clark and Hurren frustrated.
On 65 minutes Godbold came on to replace Bee and immediately set Brown off down the right and his deep cross was flicked in by Bailey, extending Beccles’ lead to 3-0.
With the amount of hard running taking a toll Brown and Hurren went off to be replaced by Holland and young Alex Husband, making his first team debut.
Clark made another sizzling run but shot over and nearly got another when he latched on to deflected clearance and hit a powerful shot into the side netting.
- 1 Festival of Suffolk torch relay reaches Waveney
- 2 New Asian restaurant already fully booked a week after opening
- 3 What time will the Red Arrows be flying over Suffolk this weekend?
- 4 Suffolk drivers urged to use caution in Quiet Lanes amid growing scheme
- 5 Heavy delays on major Norfolk road after crash
- 6 Popular band preparing to celebrate best of British music in Beccles
- 7 Art gallery celebrating local talent to launch at site of former mill
- 8 Major road to close for resurfacing works costing £81,000
- 9 Former bank could become vets to meet boom in pet ownership
- 10 F1 star jumps out of plane over Suffolk town
On 88 minutes United clawed a goal back when a Beccles defensive mix-up allowed Grove to score with ease.
With only seconds on the clock Beccles were awarded a penalty and Clark stepped up, looking for his hat-trick, but he shot weakly straight at the keeper so the match ended 3-1 to Beccles Town, a result which lifted them up to third in the Premier Division.
Team: Cable, Hunt, Boyd, Shaw, Staines, Brown, Heaney, Bee, Clark, Hurren, Bailey. Subs: Godbold, Holland, Husband.
The Reserves played under lights on Wednesday evening against St Andrews Reserves and won 2-1 to go three points clear at the top of Division Four.
On Saturday Beccles visit Sheringham for a league game and the Reserves entertain Gayton Reserves (both 2.30pm).