Beccles Town reduced to 10 men - and then go down to late goal
- Credit: Archant
Beccles Town travelled to Bradenham for a league match and conceded a late goal to slip to a narrow 3-2 defeat.
Both sides looked to attack from the kick-off with Bradenham getting the better of the opening exchanges. Clark made a great run down the right wing, beat a couple of defenders and in a one on one with the home keeper chipped the ball over the bar. Ten minutes later, following intense pressure on the Beccles goal, a long clearance found Bishop but his first time effort was just over the bar.
On 35 minutes Bradenham opened the scoring with a fast breakaway down the left and an accurate pass inside for Blackford to slot home.
With 55 minutes gone Beccles counter-attacking was rewarded when a ferocious free-kick from Bailey was fumbled by the home keeper straight to Jones, who scored with ease. On 58 minutes Shaw was forced into an error but Bradenham were unable to get past Cable who pulled off two point blank saves.
Just past the hour mark Beccles managed to get their noses in front when Hurren shielded a throw from the right and crossed for Bailey to head in. Bradenham then launched a series of attacks but Beccles’ defence, with Shaw and Cable outstanding, kept them out until the pressure eventually paid off when Rowe managed to get a foot to a rebound and force the ball hoomd.
Bee was sent on the liven up the Beccles attack with Hurren going off. The visitors tried hard to get another goal but were constantly foiled by Bradenham players blocking well or by a poor final ball. On 88 minutes Jones received a second yellow card for a poor challenge so Beccles were left to fight off the pressure from Bradenham for the last minutes of the game. Grimmer went off to be replaced by Francis and Brown came on for Hunt, but the final act as a last minute winner for Bradenham from Blackford with his second off from a good cross from the left.
Team (4-3-3): Cable, Hunt, Jones, Shaw, Staines, Grimmer, Heaney, Bishop, Clark, Hurren, Bailey. Subs: Bee, Brown, Francis.
- 1 Former professional dressage rider died in four-vehicle motorcycle crash
- 2 Two children cause damage after throwing stones at vehicles
- 3 Beccles school appoints new headteacher
- 4 Seven Suffolk villages that have received national recognition
- 5 Vandals smash lights in criminal damage at east Suffolk park
- 6 Bosses of Worlingham Hall admit failing to comply with fire safety notice
- 7 All of the Suffolk streets that won the People's Postcode Lottery in June
- 8 Theatre group set for tour of outdoor venues with latest performances
- 9 Suffolk records sunniest June in nearly 50 years
- 10 Organisers hail success as 'great' hospital fete makes welcome return
The Reserves went back on the goal trail with a 9-3 thrashing of Blofield Reserves with goals from Clarke (4), Bale (2), Booker, Boyd and Husband to stay top of Division Four.
Tomorrow Beccles Town entertain league leaders Caister (2.30pm) while the Reserves travel to AC Mill Lane (2pm).