Blofield 4 Beccles Town 1: Disappointing start to New Year for the Wherrymen
- Credit: Archant
Beccles Town kicked off the New Year at Blofield, who they had beaten in the earlier match at College Meadow 3-2, and suffered a disappointing 4-1 defeat.
After an even start Blofield took the lead on 17 minutes. Dependable defender Lovelock slipped while in possession and was robbed and Cable was left with no chance as Gauntlett converted from close range.
On 22 minutes Shaw picked a thigh injury and had to be replaced, Aaron Jones stepping into the back four. Blofield immediatelly launched a quick breakaway and it fell to Cable to block. Five minutes later Beccles set up a good attack but Clark’s cross was headed wide by Bailey who was then off target from a free-kick.
In over-time in the first half an excellent passing move and break down the right saw a deep cross met with a glancing header by Oliver, giving no chance to Cable, to make it 2-0.
Beccles made a change at the start of the second half, bringing on Bee for Hurren. But on the hour mark another well engineered break set up an easy chance for Blofield which Robinson converted. Two minutes later another clean break left May one on one with Cable and he scored to make it 4-0. By this time it was clear nothing was going right for Beccles and a superb move involving Staines, Bishop and Clark set up a good chance for Hunt but his volley went wide. Cable made another great save before, on 88 minutes, Clark latched on to a long clearance, sped past two defenders and beat the keeper from close in to reduce the arrears. Beccles had to accept that on the day they were just not competitive enough, conceding possession too easily in midfield.
You may also want to watch:
Beccles Town (4-3-3): Cable, Hunt, Shaw, Lovelock, Staines, Grimmer, Brown, Bailey, Hurren, Clark, Bishop. Subs: Jones, Bee, Harmer.
Meanwhile, back on College Meadow the Reserves returned to form with a 7-1 win over Mulbarton Wanderers Reserves with goals from Clarke (4), Godbold (2) and Bemment and Tom Wickham.
- 1 Roundabout memorial bid for the 'Ole Chicken Man of Bungay'
- 2 'Anti-social rider' has quadbike seized in the snow
- 3 Paramedics respond after woman suffers medical emergency
- 4 Everything we know so far about Covid vaccinations in Norfolk and Waveney
- 5 'Disappointment' as thieves raid £16,000 of kit from town's sports club
- 6 Car park's £500 price hike was 'callous', town council says
- 7 'Be vigilant' plea after rise in vehicle thefts
- 8 'Beccles Mafia' reported to police for harassing elderly shoppers
- 9 New vaccination centre will open to cope with demand across Waveney
- 10 Voyeur watched people after setting up secret cameras in bathroom
Tomorrow Beccles visit Caister knowing the leaders will be eager to restore an advantage following the unresolved 3-3 draw abandoned with only three minutes to go (2pm). The Reserves welcome Castle Acre Swifts in a top of the table clash, with a tough match in the offing (2.30pm).
Beccles Caxton lost their top of the table clash at Heacham 4-1 with Billy Davies scoring a late consolation. They are at home to Horsford tomorrow (2pm).