Beccles Town 2 Hellesdon 3: Wherrymen’s fightback proves to be in vain


- Credit: Archant

Beccles Town suffered a disappointing defeat at the hands of a side who have been in the lower reaches of the division for most of the season.

Leading scorer Joe Clark missed the game and will be out for several weeks with a soft tissue injury around the knee. However, as ever, the youth of Beccles stepped up and the return of centre back Billey Shaw after his thigh injury was a welcome boost.

On 14 minutes the first real chance came when Harmer made a great run down the right and passed to Bailey who found Hurren in space but the number nine was unable to control the pass and the ball was cleared.

On 31 minutes a long ball set Bailey away and he beat a defender before crashing a fierce shot into the side netting.

The second half started with more intent from both sides and on 53 minutes Hellesdon opened the scoring when Francis was well beaten in the air to a long ball which fell well to Love who beat Cable from just inside the box.

You may also want to watch:

Five minutes later Hellesdon increased their lead when another long clearance was missed by the Beccles defence and fell into the path of Love who again beat Cable to make it 2-0. Two minutes later a fortunate penalty decision was made when Bishop was brought down by the Hellesdon keeper and Hurren stepped up to convert to reduce the arrears.

The goal had a great effect on Beccles who started some good moves and on 72 minutes a swift passing interchange gave Staines a chance to get in a low cross which Brighton steered home to equalise.

Most Read

The following minute saw Bailey make another lung busting run down the left and he cut in to blast a shot which the Hellesdon keeper grabbed at the second attempt.

Hellesdon then countered and forced a couple of corners and from the second the ball fell into a mass of players right on the goal line and the ball was knocked home to make it 3-2 to the visitors.

In an attempt to get a goal back Beccles went to three at the back with Bee replacing Francis, but in spite of a couple more strong attacks from Bishop, Hurren and Bailey, the Hellesdon held on for only their third win of the season

It was one of those days for Beccles as the reserves, weakened by demands of the first team and their own injuries, went down 5-1 to St Andrews Reserves (Keiron Bale) to drop down to third place.

Tomorrow the first team travel to Acle for (2pm) and the reserves entertain Costessey Reserves at College Meadow (2.30pm).

Beccles Caxton maintained their promotion push in Division Three with an excellent 5-1 win over Great Yarmouth Town Reserves at The Wellesley. Beau Mullet scored twice while Adam Goodswen, Cameron Harding and Laurie Clarke were also on target.

Caxton are at home to bottom team Hemsby tomorrow (2pm).

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter