Acle United 2 Beccles Town 2: Wherrymen recover from two down to take point
- Credit: Archant
Beccles Town bounced back from a couple of disappointing results as they came from two goals down to grab a 2-2 draw at Acle United on Saturday.
Beccles kicked off with a strong breeze in their faces which was to be the key factor of the game. Acle went close on a couple of occasions, hitting the post and the bar, but with a large portion of luck the visiting defence held firm.
On 28 minutes Beccles managed a breakaway and Bailey got in sshot which the home keeper saved. Bailey got in another shot from the rebound but again the keeper kept it out.
On 39 minutes Acle opened the scoring after winning the ball in midfield which was fed out to the right wing and a first time cross was tapped in at the near post by Jamie Smith. With a surge of adrenaline Acle attacked again and again and added to the score on 42 minutes when Javier Coleto-Cano toe poked a loose ball past a helpless Cable.
With the strong breeze now in Beccles favour it was their turn to put on the pressure with manager Steve Batt making a tactical change, replacing Hurren with George Brown. With only four minutes gone Beccles had a goal back. After being awarded a free-kick wide out Brown lined up for what everyone thought was to be a floated cross only for him to hammer in a screamer right into the top corner.
You may also want to watch:
For the next 20 minutes Beccles were on the front foot and Brighton made a great run down the centre evading a couple of tackles but his final shot was well saved. Acle cleared the ensuing corner and broke away but this attack was broken up by Boyd and the ball was fed to Staines on the left wing. His low cross was blocked but Bailey was on hand to stab in the rebound, making the score 2-2. From the restart Acle hit a long cross field ball to an unmarked Howard, who controlled well, but Cable rushed out to block the attempt. On 75 minutes Bee came on to replace Brighton and the game continued with Beccles desperately seeking a winner and Acle defending well.
The Reserves were scheduled to play Costessey Reserves who called off was they were unable to raise a team.
- 1 McDonald's branch to close for up to three months
- 2 'Absolutely crazy' - Beer gardens bustle on first weekend open
- 3 'Lucky number seven' - Landlord opens 'flagship' pub in hometown
- 4 Is this your Range Rover? - Police seize vehicles and cash in raid
- 5 Tools stolen in spate of van break-ins
- 6 Air ambulance called after man and woman suffer medical emergencies
- 7 'No guarantee' - doctor urges HPV vaccinated women to attend screenings
- 8 Important milestone for hospital hub revamp as external works completed
- 9 Picturesque Bungay retirement home officially Grade II listed
- 10 'On top of the world' - Joy as shops new and old reopen in Beccles
Tomorrow the first team visit Saturn Close to play sixth placed Waveney (2pm) while the Reserves travel to Wymondham Town Reserves (both 2pm).