Newman’s swift double seals away win for Beccles Town


- Credit: Archant

Despite being weakened by injuries and call-offs Beccles Town won 2-1 at Hellesdon to move up to ninth in the Anglian Combination Premier Division table.

Beccles were forced to defend in depth for the first 10 minutes but held firm and on 12 minutes Bailey launched a deep cross to Bishop whose first-time shot was blocked.

Then Bailey found Bishop who got his shot off which was turned away by the home keeper.

However approaching the half hour mark a clever through ball down the centre caught Beccles out and Morley slotted past Cable to open the scoring.

Beccles continued to press high up and forced a free-kick out on the right which Udell floated into the Hellesdon box for Newman to prod over the line, levelling the scores. Five minutes later, from a similar position, Udell once again chipped the cross in for Newman to bundle the ball over the line for his second, giving Beccles a 2-1 lead.

On 37 minutes the hard working Hunt fed Bailey who hammered the ball into the net, only to be ruled offside.

Hellesdon started off the second half in a determined mood and after five minutes of pressure a through ball beat the Beccles defence and Booker raced back to clear off the line.

Most Read

On 60 minutes Harmer picked up a clearance and set Bailey clear but his shot was blocked and cleared to a Hellesdon forward and it needed a timely intervention from Shaw to prevent a scoring opportunity. Two minutes later it was Cable’s turn to prevent a goal with a flying save and from the ensuing corner a long shot from a defender came back off the bar.

With only minutes left Beccles were awarded a free-kick just off the corner of the area and Brown, thinking of his stunning goal at Acle, hammered the ball only inches wide.

Beccles Town (4-3-3): Cable, Booker, Newman, Shaw, Squires, Hunt, Harmer, Udell, Bailey, Brown and Bishop. Subs: Bee, Brighton, Boyd.

The reserves made the long trip to Mundford and came away with a creditable 1-1 draw (own goal).

Tomorrow the first team travel again, this time to Trafford Park to play Wroxham Reserves, and the Reserves travel for their toughest game so far at Castle Acre Swifts (both 2.30pm).