Beccles Town have to settle for point after making dream start at Wroxham
- Credit: Archant
Beccles Town travelled to Wroxham Reserves for an Anglian Combination Premier Division game and came away with a 1-1 draw.
The visitors kicked off down the slope with a gusty wind mostly behind them and got off to a fantastic start when Luke Bailey was up-ended in the box and stepped up to convert the penalty.
From that point on Beccles were forced on the defensive as Wroxham threw everything into the search for an equaliser.
Brown and Hunt fought well in midfield while Udell and Harmer tried to be constructive and Bishop harried the Wroxham defence with good effect.
On 38 minutes Wroxham went close when a clipped shot hit the post and was followed in for a second shot but the Beccles defence blocked. Wroxham then made another good break but shot wildly and a minute later another break required two brave saves from Cable to maintain the lead.
You may also want to watch:
On 51 minutes Beccles set up another good attack but the cross was blocked and from the rebound Wroxham made a rapid attack which was broken up by Newman.
On 65 minutes Hunt aggravated an earlier knock and had to go off, Brighton coming on and he was immediately into the action with a good run down the left and a pass inside to Udell who laid the ball into Bailey’s path for a fierce shot which hit the side netting.
- 1 Mattresses among items dumped in East Suffolk countryside
- 2 Man seen waving axe on horseback is jailed
- 3 'Illegal and unsafe' - Rave attended by 100 revellers is shut down
- 4 Private coastal school joins partnership to continue 'academic excellence'
- 5 New McDonald's restaurant to open with safety measures in place
- 6 Tired but delighted - five businesses look back on first week reopen
- 7 McDonald's branch to close for up to three months
- 8 Latitude line-up reveal delayed as bosses look to learn from Liverpool test
- 9 Travellers set up 'unauthorised' camp near to popular park in Oulton Broad
- 10 Norfolk's Covid rate still low despite slight rises in some areas
Following another period of pressure Wroxham were finally rewarded when on 77 minutes Muskett volleyed in from a good deep corner to make it 1-1.
Wroxham launched further attacks and Cable was called into action to make a couple of brave saves at the striker’s feet.
On 80 minutes a Udell free-kick was won by Shaw and his lay off found Bishop who hit the bar with a fierce shot.
Team (4-3-3): Cable, Booker, Newman, Shaw, Squires, Hunt, Harmer, Udell, Bishop, Bailey, Brown. Subs: Bee, Brighton, Lovelock.
The reserves made the long trek to leaders Castle Acre Swifts and although losing by 1-0 put up a great display.
Tomorrow the first team entertain Sheringham who are climbing the table with a vengeance so a good encounter is expected (2.30pm). The reserves have no game.