Beccles Town claim impressive 5-1 win against Acle United
- Credit: Archant
Beccles Town turned on the style to record a 5-1 win over a visiting Acle United side who had been on a decent run.
There was a changed line-up with Billy Shaw moving into midfield from his usual central defensive role to add a bit of height and power and this seemed to have a positive effect on the whole team.
After a cagey start Beccles opened the scoring just past the half hour mark when Cable’s long clearance was palmed out by the keeper and Boyd headed home. On 40 minutes another good run by Hunt was headed on by Booker to Bailey who was unable to get a shot on target and just before the break another good attack was scrambled away for a corner.
The second half started with a bang when Bailey made one of his characteristic runs and was brought down in the area and he got up to convert the penalty with ease.
On 68 minutes Brown set Hunt away down the left and his deep cross was met well by Bishop but his shot was blocked. Then Harmer won the ball in midfield and set Bailey off on another run and he got off a good shot which was flapped away and Harmer, following in, scored his first senior goal to make it 3-0.
You may also want to watch:
On 76 minutes Shaw set Bishop up for a cross shot and Harmer, following in, was brought down and once again Bailey stepped up to convert the penalty.
On 81 minutes Bee came on to replace Bailey and combined with Booker to set up Bishop who shot wide. Two minutes later a similar set-up was cleanly finished by Bishop to make it 5-0 to Beccles.
- 1 No need to wait for booster invitation - clarification after Covid jab confusion
- 2 Farm shop owners 'absolutely thrilled' at national award
- 3 Christmas in doubt as toy shop boss 'struggling with stock'
- 4 Youngsters prepare to take to the stage for debut performance
- 5 New Toolstation store opens in Beccles
- 6 Drive-in fireworks display with food village returning for 2021
- 7 Man dies in industrial incident at plastics factory
- 8 Tyres slashed on parked cars with damage caused overnight in Beccles
- 9 Local recruitment crisis for dentists in east Suffolk
- 10 Waveney schools to bring in additional measures to fight Covid rise
At this stage it was pointed out that the two teams’ goal difference had reversed from 0 and -5 to 5 and 0. This however was not to last as Beccles gave away a penalty converted by Brooks. The final act saw Bailey return when Harmer suffered a late injury and the game ended with a well deserved three points.
Tomorrow Beccles have their final away game in the Premier Division of the Anglian Combination at Wymondham (2.30pm).
Beccles Town: (4-3-3) Cable, Newman, Boyd, Lovelock, Harmer, Hunt, Shaw, Booker, Godbold, Bishop, Bailey. Subs: Squires, Brown, Bee.