Football: Beccles Town beaten after conceding twice in opening four minutes
- Credit: Archant
Beccles Town travelled to Mattishall looking to avenge the home defeat by the opponents but two early losses of concentration meant an uphill battle for 85 minutes.
Mattishall made two early attacks scored from both, giving them a 2-0 lead with only four minutes on the clock.
Beccles then spent a frantic 15 minutes trying to make sure it didn’t get any worse. They gradually gained better possession and started to construct their own attacks with Godbold and Bailey down the wings and Bishop and Hurren pressurising the Mattishall back four.
On 18 minutes Bailey was set free down the right and cross was controlled and fired into the net by Neill Hurren to make it 2-1. On 28 minutes Bailey was again in action when he broke into the area to have three goes at netting but failing with them all.
Callum Grimmer was revelling in the heavy conditions and tackled and prompted all over the pitch, including a fierce volley which just skimmed the bar.
You may also want to watch:
Mattishall, with real pace down the right, made several good crosses which were well defended by Lovelock and Shaw, while Bailey also had some good runs but failed with the final ball.
The second half started with James Gill replacing Godbold and straight away teamed up with Gallagher who made a galloping run down the right, fed Bailey whose hard cross was hastily cleared.
- 1 McDonald's branch to close for up to three months
- 2 'Absolutely crazy' - Beer gardens bustle on first weekend open
- 3 'Lucky number seven' - Landlord opens 'flagship' pub in hometown
- 4 Tools stolen in spate of van break-ins
- 5 Is this your Range Rover? - Police seize vehicles and cash in raid
- 6 Air ambulance called after man and woman suffer medical emergencies
- 7 'No guarantee' - doctor urges HPV vaccinated women to attend screenings
- 8 Picturesque Bungay retirement home officially Grade II listed
- 9 Driver flees after crashing into level crossing
- 10 'On top of the world' - Joy as shops new and old reopen in Beccles
Mattishall’s winger made another great run down the right but his driven cross eluded everyone. From the resulting throw he regained possession but his deep cross was blazed over.
On 61 minutes Beccles gained a free-kick on the edge of the area but a strong wall prevented Hurren from hitting the target and from the rebound Mattishall made a quick break which brought a great point blank save out of Danny Cable. On 75 minutes George Brown replaced Waterman and he was straight into action, setting Gill away down the right and his cross was well met by Bishop who was just over.
On 86 minutes Callum Read replaced Grimmer, who had run his legs off. The final act of the game was another good run by Bailey and his cross was volleyed just over by Bishop. On a good pitch Beccles may have fared better as Mattishall, a bigger side, coped better with the conditions.