Beccles Town held to a draw after being 3-0 up at half-time
- Credit: Archant
With a 5-2 beating at the hands of Beccles two weeks back, and a new manager in charge, Acle were looking for revenge in this league clash.
And they certainly made their point, battling back from a 3-0 half-time deficit to deny the visitors a win.
Beccles manager Steve Batt made several changes, some prompted by injuries. Toby Currie came in for Aaron Jones, Kyle Godbold deputised for Neil Hurren and it was great to see Tom Galer back from long term injury.
Beccles started well and were rewarded on 21 minutes when a clearance from Danny Cable was headed on by Kyle Godbold into the path of Billy Shaw who rounded the keeper and rolled the ball into the net.
Two minutes later Kevin Waterman was injured and had to be replaced, Callum Aizlewood stepping up well into midfield. Beccles continued to press and on 39 minutes Shaw was again put through and won a tackle and slid the ball past the keeper to add to the lead.
You may also want to watch:
In the moments leading to half-time Beccles won a corner and a poor clearance fell to Godbold who slotted in through the penalty box crowd for a 3-0 lead.
One can only assume that Acle got a roasting during the interval because they made some changes to their formation and attitude and soon had Beccles under pressure.
- 1 Plans for investment and upgraded facilities at Beccles Quay
- 2 Backlash against raw sewage vote as local hotspots revealed
- 3 BMW overturns in ditch after coming off A146
- 4 Global innovation award for farm that harnesses energy from cow muck
- 5 Fire crews called to rural spot after horse found in ditch
- 6 Man arrested on suspicion of drink and drug driving after fatal crash
- 7 Norfolk boatyard sells at auction for almost double expected guide price
- 8 Bungay Wave set to ripple through town in support of flooding victims
- 9 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 10 'I'm just gobsmacked': east Suffolk pub receives £96,000 grant in Budget
They finally pulled one back on 70 minutes when a good cross was met with a glancing header past the stranded Cable. Three minutes later Acle got another back via an exchange of passes and a good shot from the edge of the box.
Inevitably, Acle scored a third off of a Beccles defender to level the match and the remaining eight minutes were backs-to-the-wall for the visitors, who fought hard to hold onto the one point.
Beccles: Cable, S Roberts, Glover, Shade, Currie, Grimmer, Waterman, Godbold, Shaw, Lovelock, Bale. Subs: Aizlewood, Galer.
Back at College Meadow, Beccles Reserves were having a field day. Having won 10-1 the previous week at Thetford Rovers, they continued their run with a 12-2 win over Freethorpe Reserves with goals for Jason Clarke (4), Jack Gallagher (3), Elliott Udell (3) and Harley Pluck (2).
Tomorrow, the first team entertain Long Stratton (2.30pm) and the Reserves travel to Sheringham.