Beccles Town held to a draw after being 3-0 up at half-time
- Credit: Archant
With a 5-2 beating at the hands of Beccles two weeks back, and a new manager in charge, Acle were looking for revenge in this league clash.
And they certainly made their point, battling back from a 3-0 half-time deficit to deny the visitors a win.
Beccles manager Steve Batt made several changes, some prompted by injuries. Toby Currie came in for Aaron Jones, Kyle Godbold deputised for Neil Hurren and it was great to see Tom Galer back from long term injury.
Beccles started well and were rewarded on 21 minutes when a clearance from Danny Cable was headed on by Kyle Godbold into the path of Billy Shaw who rounded the keeper and rolled the ball into the net.
Two minutes later Kevin Waterman was injured and had to be replaced, Callum Aizlewood stepping up well into midfield. Beccles continued to press and on 39 minutes Shaw was again put through and won a tackle and slid the ball past the keeper to add to the lead.
You may also want to watch:
In the moments leading to half-time Beccles won a corner and a poor clearance fell to Godbold who slotted in through the penalty box crowd for a 3-0 lead.
One can only assume that Acle got a roasting during the interval because they made some changes to their formation and attitude and soon had Beccles under pressure.
- 1 'Anti-social rider' has quadbike seized in the snow
- 2 Car park's £500 price hike was 'callous', town council says
- 3 Voyeur watched people after setting up secret cameras in bathroom
- 4 Norfolk's first mass Covid vaccination centre to open in food court
- 5 Butchers' could be converted into cafe under new plans
- 6 'Disappointment' as thieves raid £16,000 of kit from town's sports club
- 7 Name unveiled for new Bungay SEND school
- 8 'Beccles Mafia' reported to police for harassing elderly shoppers
- 9 Hunt for man who deliberately drove Mercedes into cyclist
- 10 Tributes to man, 31, who died on Christmas Day
They finally pulled one back on 70 minutes when a good cross was met with a glancing header past the stranded Cable. Three minutes later Acle got another back via an exchange of passes and a good shot from the edge of the box.
Inevitably, Acle scored a third off of a Beccles defender to level the match and the remaining eight minutes were backs-to-the-wall for the visitors, who fought hard to hold onto the one point.
Beccles: Cable, S Roberts, Glover, Shade, Currie, Grimmer, Waterman, Godbold, Shaw, Lovelock, Bale. Subs: Aizlewood, Galer.
Back at College Meadow, Beccles Reserves were having a field day. Having won 10-1 the previous week at Thetford Rovers, they continued their run with a 12-2 win over Freethorpe Reserves with goals for Jason Clarke (4), Jack Gallagher (3), Elliott Udell (3) and Harley Pluck (2).
Tomorrow, the first team entertain Long Stratton (2.30pm) and the Reserves travel to Sheringham.