Beccles Town hopes are dashed

BECCLES Town were keen to get back to league action with hopes to reel in some of the teams above them who have played up to five games more in the Anglian Combination Premier Division.

BECCLES Town were keen to get back to league action with hopes to reel in some of the teams above them who have played up to five games more in the Anglian Combination Premier Division.

This was not to be as on a bitterly cold, blustery day. Brandon coped better with the conditions, and with home advantage played the better football and well deserved their 2-0 win.

Initially it looked good news for Beccles who started with their very consistent defensive formation of Cable, McMorran, Barham, Wigg and Greengrass.

In midfield were Peters, Day and Wilson, with Holmes, Woods and the returning Remblance up front.

You may also want to watch:

Perhaps it was playing on a firm pitch, having fought out games on very heavy surfaces for several weeks, or maybe the blustery wind, or maybe the sloping pitch - but no. The truth is Brandon played the better and consistently denied Beccles any real possession, and with the number of chances created should possibly have scored more.

The first 30 minutes were very scrappy with both sides struggling in the blustery conditions with a bouncy ball. Opportunities for skilled play were rare. Defensive errors by the Beccles midfield gave chances to the Brandon forwards, but hasty attempts were easily cleared.

Most Read

At the other end the Beccles front line could not get any change from a well-organised Brandon defence. Just after the half-hour it was Brandon who made the breakthrough.

Their free-kick was well defended but the resulting corner was cleared off the Beccles line - straight to a Brandon forward, who nodded it back over the line for 1-0.

Just before the end of the half Alan Remblance wriggled free from his shadow only to be caught in the face just outside the box. The Beccles free-kick was well cleared and Danny Cable was forced into a fine save from the Brandon breakaway.

Andy Woods and Alex Holmes both had promising runs, leaving the midfield in their wake, but both ran out of space and were crowded out. Several minutes of scrappy play followed before the break.

The second half continued the same way with poor passing and wasted possession on both sides. Brandon were slightly the better organised and their larger physical presence helped them dominate the midfield. Beccles tried hard but tended to be muscled out of the meagre possession that came their way. Their most potent weapon appeared to be the long throws of Andy Wigg, but even those did not usually find a Beccles player in space and were easily cleared.

After 70 minutes Kevin Waterman replaced the tiring Wilson and was immediately in action. After being fouled on the left side of the penalty box, he hit a low, hard free-kick into the area, which Brandon scrambled clear after several attempts.

In the 75th minute the Beccles defence went to sleep and a Brandon throw-in was played back, crossed and half-volleyed into the Beccles net to make it 2-0.

Beccles replaced Woods with Shaw and Day with Lees in an effort to add more weight to their over-run midfield.

Beccles retained their fighting spirit, tried desperately to get back into the game, and were hopeful when Remblance was slid in with an excellent ball from midfield. But his shot went just wide.

Tomorrow, both Beccles sides are in league action.

The first team at home to Wroxham Reserves, ko 2pm, while the Reserves travel to Cromer, ko 2.30pm.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter