Beccles Town miss out in opening game after a dramatic finale
- Credit: PA
Beccles Town travelled to Bradenham Wanderers in their opening Premier Division game and conceded a late goal in a 3-2 defeat.
With several key players missing this was always going to be a tough game for the newly promoted Wherrymen.
After a low key start Neil Hurren cut in from the right and went down in the penalty area but the referee waved play on. This sparked off a series of good attacks without a clear chance,
Bradenham’s lone attack during this period, saw them hit the post with Tom Wickham well beaten. On 21 minutes Hurren was put through one on one and beat the home keeper with a low shot, giving Beccles the lead.
The second half started with George Brown replacing Elliott Udell, who got a knock just before the break. As in the first half both sides competed well without any penetration.
You may also want to watch:
On 65 minutes James Gill replaced Jake Rose who had competed well against much larger defenders. Five minutes later Bradenham won a penalty and scored to level the match and on 75 minutes it was 2-1 as Bradenham broke free and scored with a strong low shot.
Lee Glover replaced Sam Roberts at right back and Beccles had several good attacks frustrated until, on 88 minutes, Rob Bishop broke free down the right and crossed low for Hurren to squeeze into the net.
- 1 Tributes to much-loved Laura, 28, after Covid death
- 2 Touching tributes paid to 'great teacher and lovely man'
- 3 Restaurant fined for refusing to close in third lockdown
- 4 Woman in her 20s among 31 Covid patients to die in five days at hospital
- 5 'We're very anxious at the moment': Co-Op staff on public abuse
- 6 People in 'next priority' groups to receive covid jabs in coastal town
- 7 Why some over 70s get the Covid vaccine before over 80s
- 8 Harleston funeral service celebrates 10th anniversary
- 9 Suffolk Covid rates declining, but increased deaths expected for next three weeks
- 10 'Beccles Mafia' reported to police for harassing elderly shoppers
This galvanised Bradenham who launched attack after attack until on 91 minutes they managed to beat a heroic Wickham from close range to take all the points.
Beccles: Wickham, Roberts S, Shaw, Roberts T, Jones, Udell, Waterman, Bale, Bishop, Hurren, Rose. Subs: Brown, Gill, Glover.
On Tuesday evening Beccles entertained Harleston Town, who challenged for the title last season, and gave a good account of themselves before going down 2-1 (Geroge Brown).
Tomorrow Beccles entertain St Andrews (2.30pm) and the Reserves travel to Tacolneston who are newcomers to the Anglian Combination (2.30pm).
The Reserves gained a fine 2-0 win against Harleston Reserves at College Meadow with goals from Kyle Godbold and Harley Pluck and then lost 4-3 at home to East Harling Reserves with goals from Godbold (2) and James Bemment.
Bungay Town open their Division One campaign at home to Wymondham Town on Saturday (2.30pm).