Beccles Town return from tough location with all three points
- Credit: Archant
Beccles Town recorded an excellent win against a side with an intimidating home record as they enjoyed a rare taste of Friday night football.
With the unusual kick-off time, it was not surprising that key players were missing from both sides.
Following a broken down Mulbarton attack, a good ball down the right found Rob Bishop who squared for Billy Shaw to hammer in from 10 yards to Beccles an early lead.
Mulbarton responded with concerted attacks but the Beccles defence, well led by Tom Galer and Lee Glover, seemed more than capable of dealing with whatever came their way.
With George Brown and Callum Grimmer holding their own in midfield, Kyle Godbold and James Gill having several good runs and Bishop causing confusion for the central defenders Beccles were playing well.
You may also want to watch:
On 22 minutes a free-kick was headed into the Mulbarton net but was ruled offside and the half ended with Beccles one up.
On 50 minutes another Mulbarton attack was broken up and the ball was played out to Godbold on the left. He hit a superb crossfield pass into the path of Gill who cheekily chipped the keeper to make it 2-0.
- 1 Tributes to much-loved Laura, 28, after Covid death
- 2 'No black hole' - MP reveals two new vaccine centres in towns
- 3 Touching tributes paid to 'great teacher and lovely man'
- 4 Anger from council over felled silver jubilee trees
- 5 Council vows to find answers to flooding issue
- 6 Christmas trees light up care farm’s day as it helps vulnerable through dark times
- 7 Restaurant fined for refusing to close in third lockdown
- 8 Suffolk Covid rates declining, but increased deaths expected
- 9 'Manipulative and scheming' man jailed for child sex offences
- 10 Woman in her 20s among 31 Covid patients to die in five days at hospital
This stung Mulbarton into action and after a good run and cross Elliot Altay’s shot seemed destined for the top corner but Danny Cable pulled off a superb tip over. Four minutes later Thompson hit a fierce shot from close in which Cable again diverted over the bar.
With only two minutes to go, a mix-up allowed Eliot Altay to drive the ball into the net through a maze of legs but Beccles held on for an excellent win.
Team: Cable, S Roberts, Glover, Galer, Udell, Grimmmer, Shaw, Brown, Godbold, Bishop. Gill. Subs: Hurren, Bemment and Boyd.
Tomorrow Beccles take on Debenham LC at College Meadow in round two of the Suffolk Senior Cup (2.30pm).