Beccles Town return from tough location with all three points
- Credit: Archant
Beccles Town recorded an excellent win against a side with an intimidating home record as they enjoyed a rare taste of Friday night football.
With the unusual kick-off time, it was not surprising that key players were missing from both sides.
Following a broken down Mulbarton attack, a good ball down the right found Rob Bishop who squared for Billy Shaw to hammer in from 10 yards to Beccles an early lead.
Mulbarton responded with concerted attacks but the Beccles defence, well led by Tom Galer and Lee Glover, seemed more than capable of dealing with whatever came their way.
With George Brown and Callum Grimmer holding their own in midfield, Kyle Godbold and James Gill having several good runs and Bishop causing confusion for the central defenders Beccles were playing well.
You may also want to watch:
On 22 minutes a free-kick was headed into the Mulbarton net but was ruled offside and the half ended with Beccles one up.
On 50 minutes another Mulbarton attack was broken up and the ball was played out to Godbold on the left. He hit a superb crossfield pass into the path of Gill who cheekily chipped the keeper to make it 2-0.
- 1 Tyres slashed on parked cars with damage caused overnight in Beccles
- 2 New Toolstation store opens in Beccles
- 3 Honda motorbike stolen in overnight theft in Bungay
- 4 Man dies in industrial incident at plastics factory
- 5 Quarry restoration to take six more years after delays
- 6 Creator of mystery Covehithe statue reveals where it went
- 7 Life sentence for convicted rapist who attempted to murder Norfolk woman
- 8 Toolstation opens new store in Beccles
- 9 Graduation worth the wait for East Coast College's class of 2020
- 10 Free October half term events around Beccles and Bungay
This stung Mulbarton into action and after a good run and cross Elliot Altay’s shot seemed destined for the top corner but Danny Cable pulled off a superb tip over. Four minutes later Thompson hit a fierce shot from close in which Cable again diverted over the bar.
With only two minutes to go, a mix-up allowed Eliot Altay to drive the ball into the net through a maze of legs but Beccles held on for an excellent win.
Team: Cable, S Roberts, Glover, Galer, Udell, Grimmmer, Shaw, Brown, Godbold, Bishop. Gill. Subs: Hurren, Bemment and Boyd.
Tomorrow Beccles take on Debenham LC at College Meadow in round two of the Suffolk Senior Cup (2.30pm).