Beccles turn in dominant display to move back to top of Norfolk Alliance Division Two
- Credit: copyright ARCHANT 2017
Beccles Town returned to the top of the Norfolk Alliance Division Two table with a fine four wicket victory over Downham Town A.
Captain David George lost the toss and the Downham skipper elected to have a bat first on what looked to be a lively track.
Within the first over Alex Wright had given the hosts a taste of things to come. The paceman removed the off stump of the Downhan number two bat and, bowling in tandem with the express pace of Nick Smith, he demolished the top order.
By the time the Hickman Supplies man-of-the-match’s first spell was over the opposition were left reeling with the score on 29-6 (Wright 5-22, Smith 1-14).
The hosts found some stability with number six Colin Edwards (47 not out) but he was fast running out of partners. Some smart work behind the stumps from the returning wicket-keeper Ben Wilgoss and another wicket for the ever improving Stuart Watkins left three wickets remaining for the Beccles bowlers to take to set themselves a very achievable target.
You may also want to watch:
Captain George turned to Matt Lowe (3-25) and the skilful all rounder used variation to outfox the remaining Downham batsmen, removing all three including two wickets in two balls and a fine caught and bowled, to set a target of 103.
With such a fine bowling performance under their belt Beccles took less than 20 overs to reach the target of 103 and take 23 points from the fixture.
- 1 BMW overturns in ditch after coming off A146
- 2 Global innovation award for farm that harnesses energy from cow muck
- 3 Plans for investment and upgraded facilities at Beccles Quay
- 4 'I'm just gobsmacked': east Suffolk pub receives £96,000 grant in Budget
- 5 Fire crews called to rural spot after horse found in ditch
- 6 Bungay Wave set to ripple through town in support of flooding victims
- 7 Backlash against raw sewage vote as local hotspots revealed
- 8 Laptop stolen from parked car in Beccles
- 9 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 10 Man arrested on suspicion of drink and drug driving after fatal crash
A fine 30 from George Milton and runs from big hitters Alex Wright (27) and Michael Fisher (20) left it to Matt Lowe to stroke a cover drive for four for the winnings runs and a superb victory for Beccles, who finished on 105-6 from 18.5 overs.
The first team arrived back at Beef Meadow just in time to watch the second clinch a thrilling last over four wicket win over Hethersett and Tas Valley A. Ian Norman’s side bowled out the visitors for 183, with young James Gill (3-26) and Terry Hunter (2-252) the stand-out bowlers. Chairman Chris Robson then starred with a calculated 89 as the match went the distance with young all rounder Callum Read scoring the winning runs in front of a packed clubhouse.
On Saturday the first team travel to an improving Bradenham side while the seconds host Hardingham when all support would be welcome. Both games start at 1pm.