Beccles turn on the style with big Cup win

PUBLISHED: 09:40 05 December 2014 | UPDATED: 09:40 05 December 2014

TOP DOGS:  Beccles Town being presented with the Almary Green Anglian Combination Senior Team of the Month award for October. Picture: STEVE WOOD PHOTOGRAPHY

TOP DOGS: Beccles Town being presented with the Almary Green Anglian Combination Senior Team of the Month award for October. Picture: STEVE WOOD PHOTOGRAPHY

Steve Wood Photography

Wickham Market 1 Beccles Town 7

Beccles turned their attention away from the Almary Anglian Combination Division One with a trip to Wickham Market of the Suffolk and Ipswich League for a second round Suffolk Senior Cup tie.

Manager Gaven Tipple was again able to name a strong squad of: D Cable, T Roberts, E Udell, A Fulcher, S Batt, D Shade, J Remblance, N Hurren, P Heaney, A Remblance, A Holmes, J Clarke. Following a late call-off from A Martin and Batt pulling up with a knee injury in the warm-up, G Tipple named himself on the bench alongside A Greengrass.

The game started at a high tempo, with Beccles quick in the tackle with good movement off the ball. Their early pressure soon paid off when Alan Remblance latched onto a cross to put Beccles into an early lead on 10 minutes. The game was starting to be dominated by a very positive Beccles side, with J Clarke showing he was back to his early-season best when he jinked into the box to add a second on 18 minutes.

Beccles were now unsettling the Wickham Market team with their energy and commitment which was resulting in complete dominance through the central midfield partnership of J Remblance and Heaney and on the few occasions the hosts looked to threaten, Fulcher and Shade were on hand to tidy up.

Beccles went further ahead when Roberts was first to react from a corner to poke the ball home on 40 minutes. Just as the first half was coming to an end, Udell found Clarke down the left and, leaving two players rooted to the spot, he drove an unstoppable shot in from the edge of the box which left the keeper stranded.

Beccles went in 4-0 up at the break, but were caught napping when Wickham stole in to pull one back on 50 minutes.

Beccles shook themselves down and raised the tempo and on 52 minutes Alan Remblance found himself unmarked to score his second and Beccles’ fifth. Beccles were again in full control of the game and continued to push, with Remblance adding his third after good link-up play with Holmes and Hurren. Not content with seeing the game out, Beccles continued to play positive free-flowing football and more link-up play, this time from Clarke and Remblance, saw Holmes latch on to a through ball. His surging run into the penalty box was rewarded as he calmly slotted the ball into the far corner for goal number seven. Hurren pulled up with a suspected damaged hamstring and was replaced with Greengrass on 80 minutes. The game was well and truly won and Beccles thoroughly deserved to go into the hat for the next round of the cup.

Tomorrow Beccles host Horsford (2pm).

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad. Coronavirus is one of the greatest challenges our community has ever faced, but if we all play our part we will defeat it. We're here to serve as your advocate and trusted source of local information.

In these testing times, your support is more important than ever. Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Beccles and Bungay Journal