Beccles win again to make it a positive end to the year
- Credit: Archant
Beccles made it two wins in a row when they entertained Diss Saracens on Saturday.
In a hard-fought game the power of the home pack came out on top as they won their final Eastern Counties One North fixture of the year 19-12.
With a lot of standing water on the pitch the game was in danger of being called off but some hard work the night before enabled it to go ahead in boggy conditions.
Beccles were able to field a large pack who were able to get on top in the mud. They were able to drive the Diss pack in the scrum and also made good ground, driving from the line-out. After keeping the ball well they opened the scoring with a Harmer penalty.
Diss managed to win some ball and unleash their dangerous backs and scored their first try out wide to take the lead.
You may also want to watch:
Beccles hit back and pinned Diss in their 22 and after a number of scrums that were stopped just short of the line the ball was fed out wide. Holtzer collected a loose pass and stayed strong in the tackle to feed Harmer running a good line to score under the posts before converting his own try.
It was Diss who finished the half with another score. A clearance kick was charged down and as Cooper scrambled to clear the danger he took out the Diss scrum-half and conceded a penalty try which made the half-time score 10-12.
- 1 New Toolstation store opens in Beccles
- 2 Tyres slashed on parked cars with damage caused overnight in Beccles
- 3 School to play key role in supporting pupils' mental health across country
- 4 Transport pilot launched to help isolated communities around Bungay
- 5 Drive-in fireworks display with food village returning for 2021
- 6 Quarry restoration to take six more years after delays
- 7 Man dies in industrial incident at plastics factory
- 8 See Hunter's Moon and Orionid meteors in Suffolk skies tonight
- 9 Do you have rare East Anglian apples growing in your garden?
- 10 Honda motorbike stolen in overnight theft in Bungay
In the second half Beccles continued to drive deep in to the Diss territory. Harmer edged them ahead with a penalty and then extended the lead with another one. After withstanding some Diss pressure Beccles won another penalty which Harmer converted to put his side seven points clear and the hosts then managed to see out the game.
Man-of-the-match was Rix who was in his element in the muddy conditions.
After not being able to field a team recently the seconds hosted Wymondham. They lost by 38-5 but will be looking to continue to field teams regularly in the New Year.