Beccles win again to make it a positive end to the year
- Credit: Archant
Beccles made it two wins in a row when they entertained Diss Saracens on Saturday.
In a hard-fought game the power of the home pack came out on top as they won their final Eastern Counties One North fixture of the year 19-12.
With a lot of standing water on the pitch the game was in danger of being called off but some hard work the night before enabled it to go ahead in boggy conditions.
Beccles were able to field a large pack who were able to get on top in the mud. They were able to drive the Diss pack in the scrum and also made good ground, driving from the line-out. After keeping the ball well they opened the scoring with a Harmer penalty.
Diss managed to win some ball and unleash their dangerous backs and scored their first try out wide to take the lead.
Beccles hit back and pinned Diss in their 22 and after a number of scrums that were stopped just short of the line the ball was fed out wide. Holtzer collected a loose pass and stayed strong in the tackle to feed Harmer running a good line to score under the posts before converting his own try.
It was Diss who finished the half with another score. A clearance kick was charged down and as Cooper scrambled to clear the danger he took out the Diss scrum-half and conceded a penalty try which made the half-time score 10-12.
- 1 City burger joint takes beef off the menu
- 2 'Incredible turnout' as protesters demand River Waveney clean up
- 3 Traffic to be diverted with road temporarily closed for repair works
- 4 100 East Anglian events you cannot miss this summer
- 5 Celebration of food and drink gearing up for return this weekend
- 6 Chainsaws, drills and hedge trimmers stolen in farm burglary
- 7 'I keep selling out' - Mum-of-two dreams of fudge shop as business thrives
- 8 Where jubilee parties are taking place in Waveney
- 9 Fishing equipment stolen after thieves smash car window
- 10 Wanted woman arrested in Lowestoft
In the second half Beccles continued to drive deep in to the Diss territory. Harmer edged them ahead with a penalty and then extended the lead with another one. After withstanding some Diss pressure Beccles won another penalty which Harmer converted to put his side seven points clear and the hosts then managed to see out the game.
Man-of-the-match was Rix who was in his element in the muddy conditions.
After not being able to field a team recently the seconds hosted Wymondham. They lost by 38-5 but will be looking to continue to field teams regularly in the New Year.