Big rugby win for Beccles
Beccles 46, West Norfolk 8BECCLES pulled off their biggest win of the season to keep up their promotion challenge at Beef Meadow on Saturday. Beccles had one of their best starts to a game of the season when they scored an early try.
Beccles 46, West Norfolk 8
BECCLES pulled off their biggest win of the season to keep up their promotion challenge at Beef Meadow on Saturday.
Beccles had one of their best starts to a game of the season when they scored an early try. After a ruck on the 22 Sale sneaked down the blindside to canter over untouched. Wade added the conversion and slotted a penalty from close to the halfway line soon after. West Norfolk replied with a penalty of their own.
Beccles had the West Norfolk defence under pressure and turnover ball led to Williamson sprinting clear to score in the corner. Wade added a superb conversion from the touchline.
You may also want to watch:
Beccles soon added another try. Fly-half Rowney collected the ball deep inside his own half. He chipped over the defence and collected his own kick. He then sprinted clear to score under the post. The conversion was added by Wade.
Beccles had time to add one more try in the first half. This came from the best move of the match. Good clean lineout was won by the forwards and passed out to Geyser. He crashed through the defence and then fed Wade who went over under the posts. Wade converted his own try to give a half time score of 31-3.
- 1 BMW overturns in ditch after coming off A146
- 2 Global innovation award for farm that harnesses energy from cow muck
- 3 Plans for investment and upgraded facilities at Beccles Quay
- 4 Backlash against raw sewage vote as local hotspots revealed
- 5 'I'm just gobsmacked': east Suffolk pub receives £96,000 grant in Budget
- 6 Bungay Wave set to ripple through town in support of flooding victims
- 7 Fire crews called to rural spot after horse found in ditch
- 8 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 9 Man arrested on suspicion of drink and drug driving after fatal crash
- 10 Laptop stolen from parked car in Beccles
Beccles found it more difficult to score in the second half. They added two more tries to stretch the lead. The first try came when Beccles had the opposition pinned on their own line. Good counter-rucking by Hinsley and Johnstone saw the ball come loose and Paul Wilson picked up to touch down.
The second try of the half came when Rowney picked up loose ball and danced round the West Norfolk defenders to score under the posts. Wade added the conversion to complete the Beccles scoring.
West Norfolk rallied and put together a late try from a driven maul.
This was a good all round performance by Beccles. The performance of Porter stood out and he was made the Musker McIntyre man of the match.
Beccles travel to Canvey Island on Saturday and will need a win. They are in third, one point off the promotion places.