Bishop’s late strike earns Beccles Town a dramatic win
- Credit: Archant
For the last game of 2017 Beccles Town entertained a Hellesdon side started the day three points above them in the Premier Division.
Beccles started well and constructed a series of attacks with Rob Bishop, returning from injury, giving the visiting defenders a torrid time.
On five minutes an attack was broken up but a misplaced pass found Bishop and he beat a defender and rounded the keeper to give Beccles a 1-0 lead.
Brown was in action all over the pitch and his driving run and hard cross was hit just wide by Bishop.
On 17 minutes the visitors’ keeper made a dash out to intercept a shrewd pass from Grimmer but missed it which left Godbold with an easy tap-in to increase Beccles’ lead.
You may also want to watch:
The Wherrymen were just past celebrating when a defensive mix-up allowed Blake to get one back.
On 30 minutes Kevin Waterman had a great run from the halfway line but shot just over the bar. Then, from a corner, Jon Lovelock was just over with a great header.
- 1 Tributes to much-loved Laura, 28, after Covid death
- 2 'No black hole' - MP reveals two new vaccine centres in towns
- 3 Touching tributes paid to 'great teacher and lovely man'
- 4 Anger from council over felled silver jubilee trees
- 5 Council vows to find answers to flooding issue
- 6 Christmas trees light up care farm’s day as it helps vulnerable through dark times
- 7 Restaurant fined for refusing to close in third lockdown
- 8 'Manipulative and scheming' man jailed for child sex offences
- 9 Suffolk Covid rates declining, but increased deaths expected
- 10 Woman in her 20s among 31 Covid patients to die in five days at hospital
On 35 minutes Waterman and Godbold combined to set up a good chance but the keeper managed to fist the final shot away.
Hellesdon came out strongly for the second half and but for some poor finishing could have taken the lead.
Danny Cable received a bang in the face making a great save and need treatment for a bloody nose, play being suspended for six minutes. Within five minutes he was called upon to make another brave save at a striker’s feet.
On 75 minutes Waterman was replaced by Callum Read and he immediately caused some panic in the Hellesdon defence while at the other end Cable made another great save.
Two minutes into added time Hellesdon drew level with a good series of passes allowing MacGee an easy strike.
You could feel the crowd sink over the loss of a valuable two points but before the Hellesdon celebrations had ended Beccles were back in front. Great pressure from Grimmer and Brown dispossessed the visitors and the ball fell nicely to Callum Read who beat his man and laid the ball in for Bishop to slam in his second, lifting Beccles up to 10th in the table.
Beccles: Cable, Gallagher, Glover, Lovelock, Galer, Grimmer, Brown, Waterman, Gill, Bishop and Godbold. Subs: Read, Squires.