Black Dogs in semi-finals
Wickham Market Reserves 0, Bungay Town Reserves 4BUNGAY Reserves produced an excellent performance to progress to the Suffolk Primary Cup semi-finals on Saturday.
Wickham Market Reserves 0, Bungay Town Reserves 4
BUNGAY Reserves produced an excellent performance to progress to the Suffolk Primary Cup semi-finals on Saturday.
They opened the scoring after only three minutes, were two ahead by half-time, and secured the win with two late goals from substitute Brendan Gough.
Their reward is a tough-looking semi-final against Sizewell Associates on March 1 at a yet to be confirmed neutral venue.
You may also want to watch:
Bungay started brightly on the difficult, bumpy pitch, with Danny Wilby looking particularly dangerous, and they took the lead after three minutes, captain Jason Belmore firing home from James Youngman's cross.
The home side went close after 21 minutes, when a forward beat the Bungay defence but shot wide when well placed.
- 1 McDonald's branch to close for up to three months
- 2 'Lucky number seven' - Landlord opens 'flagship' pub in hometown
- 3 Is this your Range Rover? - Police seize vehicles and cash in raid
- 4 Air ambulance called after man and woman suffer medical emergencies
- 5 Family attractions back for big weekend after months of shutdown
- 6 'No guarantee' - doctor urges HPV vaccinated women to attend screenings
- 7 Important milestone for hospital hub revamp as external works completed
- 8 Election 2021: Suffolk PCC candidates outline priorities
- 9 Driver flees after crashing into level crossing
- 10 'On top of the world' - Joy as shops new and old reopen in Beccles
At the other end, Barney Lawrence's free-kick struck the top of the bar before being cleared.
On the half-hour Wickham Market had an appeal for a penalty turned down and a minute later it was 2-0, Craig Taylor finishing well after a good run and pass from Wilby.
The home side had more possession in the second half, but the Bungay defence stayed firm, with debutant goalkeeper Jason Downing looking particularly solid.
Bungay went close through Wilby before substitute Brendan Gough sealed the win with two late goals.
After 87 minutes Gough's chipped finish was disallowed for offside but a minute later he did score, calmly lobbing the keeper after being set up by Wilby.
Then in time added on, Gregor Gibson's shot was well saved by the home keeper but from the resultant corner Gough headed in his second and Bungay's fourth from Youngman's cross.