Black Dogs in semi-finals
Wickham Market Reserves 0, Bungay Town Reserves 4BUNGAY Reserves produced an excellent performance to progress to the Suffolk Primary Cup semi-finals on Saturday.
Wickham Market Reserves 0, Bungay Town Reserves 4
BUNGAY Reserves produced an excellent performance to progress to the Suffolk Primary Cup semi-finals on Saturday.
They opened the scoring after only three minutes, were two ahead by half-time, and secured the win with two late goals from substitute Brendan Gough.
Their reward is a tough-looking semi-final against Sizewell Associates on March 1 at a yet to be confirmed neutral venue.
Bungay started brightly on the difficult, bumpy pitch, with Danny Wilby looking particularly dangerous, and they took the lead after three minutes, captain Jason Belmore firing home from James Youngman's cross.
The home side went close after 21 minutes, when a forward beat the Bungay defence but shot wide when well placed.
- 1 Challenging future for high streets amid fall in shoppers
- 2 Motorcyclist injured after crash in busy Suffolk road
- 3 Care home's failings continue after damning report reveals abuse fears
- 4 Latest 'festival-style' market to take place next month
- 5 Holiday business owner fined over £5k after 'excessive waste' found at site
- 6 Five-bedroom country house with 'secret garden' on sale for £1.25m
- 7 New minister appointed for Beccles Salvation Army
- 8 Camera club showcases best of town's efforts
- 9 Knitters set to hit 'gorgeous' beach for Stitches on the Sand
- 10 Four taken to hospital after crash involving ambulance on A146
At the other end, Barney Lawrence's free-kick struck the top of the bar before being cleared.
On the half-hour Wickham Market had an appeal for a penalty turned down and a minute later it was 2-0, Craig Taylor finishing well after a good run and pass from Wilby.
The home side had more possession in the second half, but the Bungay defence stayed firm, with debutant goalkeeper Jason Downing looking particularly solid.
Bungay went close through Wilby before substitute Brendan Gough sealed the win with two late goals.
After 87 minutes Gough's chipped finish was disallowed for offside but a minute later he did score, calmly lobbing the keeper after being set up by Wilby.
Then in time added on, Gregor Gibson's shot was well saved by the home keeper but from the resultant corner Gough headed in his second and Bungay's fourth from Youngman's cross.