Black Dogs in semi-finals
Wickham Market Reserves 0, Bungay Town Reserves 4BUNGAY Reserves produced an excellent performance to progress to the Suffolk Primary Cup semi-finals on Saturday.
Wickham Market Reserves 0, Bungay Town Reserves 4
BUNGAY Reserves produced an excellent performance to progress to the Suffolk Primary Cup semi-finals on Saturday.
They opened the scoring after only three minutes, were two ahead by half-time, and secured the win with two late goals from substitute Brendan Gough.
Their reward is a tough-looking semi-final against Sizewell Associates on March 1 at a yet to be confirmed neutral venue.
You may also want to watch:
Bungay started brightly on the difficult, bumpy pitch, with Danny Wilby looking particularly dangerous, and they took the lead after three minutes, captain Jason Belmore firing home from James Youngman's cross.
The home side went close after 21 minutes, when a forward beat the Bungay defence but shot wide when well placed.
- 1 Man arrested on suspicion of drink and drug driving after fatal crash
- 2 Diversions in place as water main works take place in Loddon
- 3 Special woodland event to remember those we have lost
- 4 Norfolk boatyard sells at auction for almost double expected guide price
- 5 Stunning swan photo shot in Norfolk gains national recognition
- 6 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143
- 7 Part of A143 closed after three-vehicle crash in early hours
- 8 Man dies in industrial incident at plastics factory
- 9 No need to wait for booster invitation - clarification after Covid jab confusion
- 10 Tyres slashed on parked cars with damage caused overnight in Beccles
At the other end, Barney Lawrence's free-kick struck the top of the bar before being cleared.
On the half-hour Wickham Market had an appeal for a penalty turned down and a minute later it was 2-0, Craig Taylor finishing well after a good run and pass from Wilby.
The home side had more possession in the second half, but the Bungay defence stayed firm, with debutant goalkeeper Jason Downing looking particularly solid.
Bungay went close through Wilby before substitute Brendan Gough sealed the win with two late goals.
After 87 minutes Gough's chipped finish was disallowed for offside but a minute later he did score, calmly lobbing the keeper after being set up by Wilby.
Then in time added on, Gregor Gibson's shot was well saved by the home keeper but from the resultant corner Gough headed in his second and Bungay's fourth from Youngman's cross.