Cornish pasties the perfect reward for Black Dog runners!
- Credit: Archant
A trip to stormy Cornwall to take part in a weather curtailed Cornish marathon was rewarded by post race pasties and a steaming cuppa for Bungay Black Dog Running Club (BBDRC) members Karen Gedge (finishing in four hours and 53 minutes), Rachel Hirst (5:03), Robin Ashe (5:12) and Tim Hirst (6:03).
The original route was revised - ending up a half mile short - to avoid the race being cancelled due to "shocking weather" although total elevation of 2,547 feet, horizontal rain, high winds and low temperatures ensured it remained a challenge.
However, those junior and senior members who stayed closer to home to represent BBDRC at the Framlingham Cross Country race - the first in the Suffolk Winter League series enjoyed near-perfect running weather.
But conditions underfoot at Framlingham Castle were not quite as perfect as the weather, with acres of very sticky mud clinging to competitors' shoes for the duration. The course was a challenging two laps for the seniors covering a total of 5.6 miles.
Jesse Timberlake was the only Black Dog at Fenland's Lode half-marathon - a there-and-back race that took in the muddy tracks and roads but again enjoyed a fine day in the Cambridgeshire countryside. She came fifth among the entry of 250 runners with a time of 1:26.22.
You may also want to watch:
At Gorleston, Rachel Allen and Graham Sampson both celebrated fantastic Parkrun milestones. After starting parkruns 10 years ago, Rachel did her 400th while Graham celebrated his 350th.
- 1 BMW overturns in ditch after coming off A146
- 2 Global innovation award for farm that harnesses energy from cow muck
- 3 Plans for investment and upgraded facilities at Beccles Quay
- 4 Backlash against raw sewage vote as local hotspots revealed
- 5 'I'm just gobsmacked': east Suffolk pub receives £96,000 grant in Budget
- 6 Fire crews called to rural spot after horse found in ditch
- 7 Bungay Wave set to ripple through town in support of flooding victims
- 8 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 9 Man arrested on suspicion of drink and drug driving after fatal crash
- 10 Laptop stolen from parked car in Beccles